The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,241 Posts
Low battery charge or a bad connection would be the top two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,785 Posts
How are the battery cables? The clamps and posts need to be shiny clean. There's also a possibility of corrosion that's gotten under the insulation on the cables and turned them into green goo that doesn't conduct electricity well. Check all your cable connections from batteries to fuse box, even grounds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery cables are new last year and they all have been cleaned good when I put new batteries in it last week but I’ll have to check all the ground cables thanks for the information I’ll have to check the other ground cables than thank you

·
Premium Member
15,241 Posts
Next step would be some testing. Get your voltmeter out. Test voltage at the battery while someone tries to start it. When the key goes to the on position, if your glow plugs are working, it will drop down to the 11-11.5 volt range. When the key is engaged, it should drop into the 10-11 volt range. Next, slide up underneath and do the same thing on the large lug on the starter. Voltage should be the same. Alternatively, put one lead on the positive terminal of the battery and one lead on the large lug on the starter. Should be zero volts and stay pretty close to that even when cranking.

It's possible you have a bad starter drawing so many amps that even a new battery with good cables won't do the trick.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I’ve cleaned all ground cables and it’s still doing the same thing thanks for the help but would still like any more information on fixing it thank you
did you do the tests RT listed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the type RT test and it all seam to be working like it should but I got a new starter and cleaned where the starter bolts on the Bell housing and still doing the same thing sorry getting back to you so late been feeling sick so thanks for any help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m still having problem with it starting it turns over good put new batteries in it New battery cables cleaned all Ground cables put new starter in it still won’t start it still turns over good and still have a clicking noise coming from fuse box from two relaysAny help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
26,785 Posts
Was the starter actually new or rebuilt? And was it from a quality source?

With your multimeter, check voltage while cranking all the way from the battery positive post to the input lug on the terminal box. Somewhere along the line, you may have a bad (high resistance) connection.

·
Super Moderator
26,785 Posts
My last post was probably confusing. I meant to check the circuit from the batteries to the fuse box for voltage drop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts