The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin borrowed my 99 F250, 4WD, manual to go to Cape Cod, about 4 hours away from me. It ran OK all week, but on the way home she called me. It made " a loud noise" and wouldn't go into gear. I talked to her on the phone, she felt she could shift into 4th and 5th, but no other gear. Even with it not running it would not shift. She had to get it towed and related that when they lifted up the flatbed there was a lot of red fluid on the deck. She showed me a picture of red fluid and it looked like it was coming out of the front of the tranny, near the engine. Does anyone have any thoughts? Did the tranny implode or could I be lucky that it's not that bad? Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
The ZF-6 is pretty tough, but it sounds like it may have lost the fluid (it uses ATF) thru the front seal. If it gets low enough, it will tear the tranny up completely. There are warning signs, but she may not have recognized them. I have one that's not rebuildable (well not economically, anyway, as the main shaft it trashed and costs over $500 to replace.)

You'll have to pull the tranny to see what happened. The lower gears are what go first.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
klhansen,
Thank you so much for the input and all the help over the years. She just told me the mechanic told her its the clutch and the transmission, but she also asked me if I wanted her to drop off my keys. It seems weird to me he could know definitively without trying to run it? Maybe he's hoping he can pull a fast one on her. I'm trying to organize a trailer and a loaner truck to go get it and bring it back home. I'm not optimistic, but I'll have to see. Thanks again on edit: I'm an idiot, she left him the truck key... Going to pick it up Sunday...

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
The mechanic probably was telling her that the clutch should be replaced with the tranny. If the tranny has to come out for work, it makes sense to replace the clutch at the same time. Even with a bad clutch (that wouldn't release), the tranny should shift between gears, and could even be driven by starting in gear and "float shifting".

Good luck. I have tranny swaps down to a science, I've done it so many times. It still takes all day though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I went to pick it up I drove it up on the trailer in 3rd gear using low range (wouldn't go into first). When I got it home it shifted through all of the gears, but made a weird rattling noise in neutral. I was feeling somewhat optimistic. I got back to working on it today and the transmission case is cracked up both sides and along the bottom. I bet it's 360 degrees, but I couldn't see the top. Based on the rust on this truck, I'm not sure its worth buying a used one, they seemed to run $1700-$2000. What it would cause this? Something internal let loose or something external?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Ouch! Something obviously bound up inside and cracked the case. If you're lucky it won't be too bad, and might be rebuildable. Replacing the rear case isn't super expensive.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your mishap! :disappointed: I sadly don't have a lot to add to the thread :headbang: just wanted to lend my condolences and hope you can get her fixed!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the support. Otto, welcome to the forum. You'll find a ton of great info here. Tranny is whupped, rear case and middle case are cracked, bearings inside are fried. Still going back and forth on putting in a reman....

Thought this picture was funny, guys at the shop were surprised to see it in the back of a subaru,

IMG_2322.jpg

sorry for the orientation..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts