The Diesel Stop banner

Truck Won't Start help! Can't Walk to Work...I'M Too Fat!

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  bismic 
Nope. Very common. And you should replace them in pairs, anyway.

I wouldn't advise running on batteries that have to be jumped off every time. That's a good way to ruin an FICM. And not from the act of jumping, either. Low voltage is hard on it.
New here and probably wet behind ears ... but from an electronics engineering aspect, a two battery system always requires both batteries replaced in pairs as the weakest one will force the stronger one to load to that of the weakest one. (Heat of being dragged down will effect plates of stronger battery). The dangers of boosting from a non-running vehicle with a control circuit such as the FICM to a vehicle needing a boost is limited to polarity and the load expended on the batteries you will need to restart your boost vehicle. You don't want to boost someone just so you need a boost too! My mention of polarity has to do with the fact that control circuits and batteries are generally whats called direct drive circuits which unlike lights and buzzers must not be reverse powered. (swapping +/-). A momentary swap of (+/-) will assuredly destroy resistors, caps, semi-conductors and IC's that comprise the control circuit and force the batteries to rapid discharge.

On a running vehicle attempting to boost a dead vehicle, is factored by available power. The power needed for the boost must not exceed the power required by the boosting vehicle. This includes alternator, batteries, and power used by running systems. You need to remember that during the start, the starter of the vehicle being boosted can draw an incredible amount of current thusly it is best to connect to the vehicle to be boosted and leave the two connected for some time before trying to start so there is at least a base charge in the vehicle to be boosted. And when you crank the boosted vehicle keep cranking to a minimum.

my two cents worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.