The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I towed my trailer for the first time since getting the tranny rebuilt and am trying to decide if I like the new behavior or not. I had told the guy doing the tranny that I towed a 7k cargo trailer and he should pick out the parts accordingly. He sounded knowledgeable to me about the transmissions. One of things he did was install the "Tugger" kit which essentially reprograms its behavior. The biggest thing I noticed was that it was very reluctant to shift down when climbing a big hill, (we don't have mountains in OH). You pretty much had to bury the pedal to get it downshift. I just don't want to lug the motor if I can avoid it. Anyone have experience with this Tugger mod? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I have it in my truck and haven't any problems with it.

I wonder if he installed the correct accumulator springs in the valve body when he did the kit.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The tugger I had in the truck before i had the trans rebuilt didn't behave like that, when i had the trans rebuilt i had a custom BTS valve body put in.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
It's funny cause bts uses the transgo kits too.

Brian does things a little different but still uses all the parts.

·
Registered
353 Posts
He starts with a trans-go and modifies the inlet outlet sizes to customer specs. Infact with mine it was modified in such a way that it didn't need the seperator plate.

·
Super Moderator
12,012 Posts
The biggest thing I noticed was that it was very reluctant to shift down when climbing a big hill, (we don't have mountains in OH). You pretty much had to bury the pedal to get it downshift. I just don't want to lug the motor if I can avoid it. Anyone have experience with this Tugger mod? Thanks!
The Tugger doesn't have anything at all to do with WHEN it shifts, just how firm the shift is once it does shift. The electronics control when to shift. You need a high end scan tool that can look at data and see if the computer is commanding the shift when you think it should shift, or not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information. There really wasn't much on the Transgo Tugger website to really fully describe what it was up to. And it's entirely possible I'm just being paranoid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts