The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try not to over think but it happens, would like tunes to help out with towing not sure I need it for anything else, maybe highway, don't need to get to work early. Sorta freaked out by replacing my trans due to added stress. Flog away

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wrong forum

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
I use three tunes 99.9% of the time. DP-Tuner - the best in my opinion - the 80HP tow for loaded trailer, 60HP econo for unloaded highway driving, and the 80HP econo for city or loaded highway (like the bed full of mulch / gravel or the unloaded trailer). The tow tune applies increased hydraulic pressure to the clutches to prevent slipping, so unless you are trying to drag race with your travel trailer hooked up, you should see less wear and tear on your transmission with the tune than without.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If motor get more fuel and works harder how can that make trans work less? At this point dipping my toes in and wanting to use just for towing, am I crazy and or a newbie to if you play you pay

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Quicker firmer shifts for one.

The stock tune has very soft, long shifts. This is terrible

It creates more heat and more clutch wear.

Tow tunes also shift later. Keeping you in the powerband. The stock tunes shift early causing you to lose a lot of power which sucks especially towing.

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
Exactly - if you play. From my understanding, the great majority of clutch wear happens during shifts. That's really the only time the clutch face moves against the steels. After the shift occurs, the clutch is engaged and doesn't slip unless you overcome the upper limits of its ability to hold. So, quicker, firmer shifts which are commanded by the tune would DECREASE wear. Once the clutch is engaged, having more power to hold the truck at a given speed shouldn't affect anything unless you 1. overcome the ability of the clutch to hold or 2. break a hard part. Another concept - if you're able to hold a gear longer, you eliminate the constant downshifting every time you get close to a hill - less shifting - less wear.

Now, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. You have to be smart enough not to use your new found horsies irresponsibly. If you're towing a 10,000 pound trailer, you don't have to be the first guy off the line when the light turns green.

P.S. - as to your comment about more fuel - that's a minimal part of how the tune works. It's more about increased efficiency than just dumping fuel. You'll see this when you notice your MPG goes UP with the tune. If it was just dumping fuel (like a smoky Dodge) you'd see MPG plummet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts