The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asked my local deisel shop about tuners and they indicated edge was the only one that is EPA compliant so cant legally sell any other, what is scoop?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Lol no......
For what truck?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So local shop made this up?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Short answer, yes.
Again, for what truck?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2002 f250

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
DP-Tuner is the best in my opinion. Makes the truck a blast to drive. I had a Hydra for about 9 months doing some diagnostics on a set of injectors that weren’t working and I couldn’t stand the shift pattern. The Edge is just canned tunes and won’t be nearly as efficient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So would you add tuner after new transmission or does it matter, wondering if they build around trans with program

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
You’ll fill out a form that asks about mods and what transmission you have. The best thing about the DP-Tuner is each program optimizes the shifting for what you are doing. The tow programs hold the gears longer and provide more engine braking. Economy tunes shift earlier. With the power added, you almost eliminate downshifting on hills. The only problem is trying to stop grinning...

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Yes they will build around the transmission. Call DP-Tuner, Jody will give you advice on what you need and best way to do it. No hard pressure sale just what you can expect.
DENNY

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ive had dp-tuner on my truck for years and just love it

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
FYI, the hydra has so many tunes available and you get to choose 14 besides stock and no start. Each tune has different power levels and shift strategies so I don't see how you can't find one that you like...and it supports custom tunes from other vendors IIRC. So consider those things also.

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
FYI, the hydra has so many tunes available and you get to choose 14 besides stock and no start. Each tune has different power levels and shift strategies so I don't see how you can't find one that you like...and it supports custom tunes from other vendors IIRC. So consider those things also.
Lot’s of tunes for split shots. Not so many for single shots.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I didn't realize the OP had single shots...that's a mod to the older style, right?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
1994-97 were single shots. (Unless cali emissions)

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
1994-97 were single shots. (Unless cali emissions)

And Stage 1s and up are single shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whats a single shot, not well schooled in diesel jargon

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
In 99, in order to meet more stringent EPA regulations, split shots we're introduced. A small preshot of fuel is injected into the hot compressed gas initiating a flame front for the second shot to ignite in. Cleaner, but leas efficient. Rebuilders typically convert them back to single shots and that requires different programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Also quieter.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got it, so 2002 is a split shot, brain is larger, thx for diesel school

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I really like my PHP tunes. It makes the truck behave like stock, but with more power. Does Bill still own and make tunes for PHP?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts