The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,236 Posts
DP-Tuner is the way to go. 60 econo for highway driving, 80 econo for around town, and a tow tune. There are many other tunes for specific needs. Check out Diesel tuning products for Ford PowerStroke

I have said before - if I had to give back everything I've ever done to my truck - this would be the last thing I'd let go and you'd have to fight me for it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You don't have anything in your signature so I'm assuming it is purely stock as it sits. If you love your truck, get yourself a set of gauges before the tuner! Most common are EGT, Boost, and Trans temp, with EGT being an important needle to watch with a tuner.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You’re going to get a lot of brand-loyal people telling you what tuner to get.
My only recommendation is to go with a tuner that has the option to have custom tunes burned on to it. That way you will always have that flexibility. If you go with a tuner that cannot be reprogrammed you will just have to throw it away when you outgrow it.
OH, and I totally agree with LTFFNREMTP. Adding a tuner will make it necessary to monitor what your truck is doing since you have lost the protection of factory programming. Some tuners have digital gauges as a part of their system, a nice option if you are starting from scratch and want to save a little cash up front.

·
Registered
301 Posts
DP-tuner is what I got, and I've never regretted it a day since install.

RT, I've noticed a few times you recommend 60econo for highway and 80 for city...have you noticed a difference in fuel mileage when using the 60 econo on highway driving? I currently just have 80 econo and get around 17 highway and 15 city

·
Premium Member
15,236 Posts
I gain about 2 MPG using the 60 over the 80 on the highway. I really like the shift strategy on the 80 a lot better - mainly because on the local farm to market roads, you spend a lot of time in the 45-50 mph as idiots pull out in front of you and see how slow they can drive. The 60 downshifts at that speed - the 80 will hold it in OD. I did run each tune for several tanks to compare - 2mpg is the only difference there.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I'm happy with Power Hungry Performance tunes. They combined the whisper tune with my 40tow tune. They can do the same with high idle as well. You can get the FU or grow into the FU2 chip. Or take a leap forward and get the minatour software. This is really in depth self-tuning that requires knowledge of how the fuel and oil system work. Bill, Cody, or Brad can hook you up for what youre looking to achieve.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I haven't seen one tuner that is "head and shoulders" better than the other yet. A good tuner should be able to set the program the way you want. A 60HP Tow tune is going to be the limiting factor so if you don't like the first offering, you can always have them reset to the way you want.

I went with the F6 from DP-Tuner because it allows me to download a tune without having to R&R the chip and send it back or have to keep another piece of hardware that don't get frequent use. I can "try before I buy" so I am not out anything if I don't like it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
DP tuner is custom built for your truck I have it and stand by it, but I agree with the other guy get yourself some gauges first, when your throwing around 60-120HP with the chip you can burn your tranny or you'll do the same with your EGT's (Pyrometer) then AFE stage 2 air intake, 4" from the turbo back exhaust (Magnaflow), by doing that first your tuner will open the truck up more and better MPG.

·
Registered
54 Posts
DP tuner! I have had mine for over 6 years and keep meaning to upgrade to some newer tunes, but the truck runs so good I havent done it yet. As already stated, get the gauges first.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Another vote for PHP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.