The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SCT with an 80hp tune that the company (none of the site sponsors) said would be fine for towing and have used it for 3 years. Honestly, unless I stomp on the accelerator I cannot feel a bit of difference, nor is there a difference in how the truck drives or performs. I've been looking to change it out and contacted Jody about it. He recommends a 60 tow and 80 econo tune, so my question is, would it be better to get those tunes for the SCT or should I get the switchable programmer?

The switch has the advantage of, well, switching, but then I have to ditch the SCT, so that costs me money. Just getting the two new programs for the SCT costs less than the switcher does without tunes, so there is that.

Just curious about the general take on this situation. I guess I could sell the SCT to fund the F6...

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
It all depends if you don't mind switching tunes.

The two tunes would work great though.

Have you verified no boost leaks or low oil pressure? Those will both affect performance

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked boost system a couple of times with no leaks found. oil pressure seems good. I'm getting about 17 mpg empty with or without the tune installed, but with the tune I can throw an overboost code so I know it's doing something.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So two tunes from DP are $160, but TS is offering their 6 position chip with 6 tunes for $170 right now. It would give me a high idle, switch on the fly, and an econo and tow mode.

What are the differences in their tunes?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Ts canned tunes suck.

If you want more than two tunes cncfabrcationllc sells ts chips with custom tunes for only 250.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I figured you got what you paid for.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have to give a huge shout out to Jody at DPTuner. I ordered the tunes but had some problems with my tuner, and Jody was patient with me, trying everything on his end to make them work. Finally got them loaded and took her for a spin in the 80HP Daily tune and OMG what a difference! It's a whole new truck. Smooth, quiet, powerful, all my gauges show mileage improved but I will run a tank or two through it and find out how much exactly. I did "play" with the accelerator once and it's a beast. When it shifted to second it threw me back into the seat for another pull, and it never did that before. No over boost code either. The previous tune I had was loud, only pulled in first, and in general was not an appreciable difference. Jody's tune is out of this world. His customer service second to none.

Thanks for the input. I would love to have a switchable chip but it's just not in the budget right now. Two really good tunes were, and well worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
That's great news Greg, DP have a great reputation, now you know that you will really appreciate it when you order a F6 from Jody with the tunes you desire. I have a wide range of DP tunes , i do some towing but most of the time i use the 60 hp daily and 40 hp tow, the best feature is to be able to switch tunes on the fly, oh and the service. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the service was awesome. I noticed the truck coasts better, shifts better, and before it had a weird jerk in the driveline when starting from a stop. That is gone, so obviously a tune issue. I'm sure some of the mileage improvement is in the improved coasting.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Yes a vast improvement , it's like getting a new truck.:laugh2:
I had a SC programmer before and found the difference, chalk and cheese.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Alright Gents, I have been wanting to purchase a DP-Tuner from Jody based on all the positive reviews on this forum and have been researching but I don't know what I need in the way of tunes. Right now is the Holiday Sale which offers $75 off.

I drive like an old man who is on a fixed income and in no hurry to get anywhere. I have never seen the needle over 3K RPM and I have never seen over 10 psi Boost.

Blues99 would never let me drive him anywhere!

I do not have gauges except for a Scan-Gauge II and it doesn't have EGT (I know this is an important one but I am not going to be spending money to get one). I don't have a TT or any heavy equipment or horses. I might get a boat and trailer at some point or maybe a slide-in camper. Mostly I just want to maximize fuel economy, get the best performance I can and regrow lost hair.

I am looking at buying the F5 Chip with the EX Switcher.

I would like to get the Decel which uses the EBV for an exhaust brake.

I would also like to get a Daily Econo tune for the flatlands (60 or 80?) and a Daily Mountain tune (60 or 80?). Do I have to get both the 60 & 80 ? I am assuming one of these can be used for driving in traffic around town?

What advice can you offer me on tunes?

I sure appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
15,110 Posts
60 HP if you are mainly doing highway or 80 HP if you do stop and go. I spend 99.9% of my non towing time in 60 HP econo.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Email Jody with your concerns. He was very helpful with me and responded quickly. I only wish I could have swung the switcher with a high idle, but loading a tune dies not take that long. Been very happy with the 80hp econo for daily driving.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Email Jody with your concerns. He was very helpful with me and responded quickly. I only wish I could have swung the switcher with a high idle, but loading a tune dies not take that long. Been very happy with the 80hp econo for daily driving.
Thanks for the reminder. I did also want to add an 1100 RPM High-Idle.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Surprisingly i usually drive pretty slow.
I don't like to race from red light to red light.

Unless your set on getting more than one tune i would send your pcm in for 60hp dd tune flash.

It sounds like you want maybe an economy, a tow tune, Decel and a high idle.

That's a good list that will let you do everything well.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Arctic driver, FYI check your pms

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Alright Gents. I am about to pull the trigger on the following tunes.

0--No Start
1--Stock
2--HI-idle 1200 (non-EBPV)
3--80HP Tow
4--Decel
5--60HP Econo or Daily

The 80HP Tow is supposed to have similar shift points to the 80HP Mountains Tune but not as aggressive of acceleration. I figure that fits my drive style and I will use the 80HP in town and mountains.

Question: How does the 80HP Tow compare to Stock acceleration?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I will likely be ordering the F5 with the EX switcher.

Do any of you guys have that type of switcher?

There is an option to mount it "in" the dash.

Do you recommend this or is there any advantage to just having it loose?

Is it possible to mount it against the dash without having to cut into the dash?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've replied to you aic message multiple times. Anyone know why they won't go through?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts