The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a 2000 f350 7.3L and I have been experiencing a weird hissing noise. Whenever i let off the throttle my truck releases a huge amount of air which I am assuming is the wastegate actuating. However on the highway in 3rd and 4th gear there is a constant hissing noise and the more i push on the throttle the louder the noise gets. im not sure if the wastegate is staying open and or if it is supposed to be staying open on the highway. And before we even go down that road yes it happens when the truck is warm as well and its not related to the ebpv and mine is unplugged. someone please help as i am very confused and dont want to damage my truck.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
You may have a loose boot clamp or boot is off. DENNY

·
Registered
539 Posts
The wastegate on the turbo is on the exhaust side and just dumps exhaust pressure back to the exhaust system. There is not a blowoff valve that some turbo systems use on the fresh air side. There would have to be a high amount of boost in order to actuate the wastegate - should not even be close to opening while just cruising on the highway, nor should it actuate just by lifting off the throttle. You would have to be under hard acceleration and then fully lift off the pedal to get the boost high enough to pop the wastegate.

Do you have a way of monitoring boost pressure? That would give you a good idea of what is happening. Although you have checked the boots, I'd give them a really close look. Your symptoms sound like a blown boot more than anything else. If you have an EGT gauge, you'll see much higher than normal EGT with a loss of boost.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does your truck have the stock oem air filter box? Or is it an aftermarket air filter. Example: a napa 6637 air filter. If its aftermarket they make a lot of hissing/sucking noise. How long have you had this truck?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does your truck have the stock oem air filter box? Or is it an aftermarket air filter. Example: a napa 6637 air filter. If its aftermarket they make a lot of hissing/sucking noise. How long have you had this truck?
no I have a K&N cold air intake. I have had the truck for almost a year now

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts