The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the turbo on my 2012 6.7 with a 2017 turbo and now I have the 2012 laying in my garage with only ~56k miles; still new by most accounts. My 99 E-350, 7.3 has 150k miles on it. Is there any way to adapt the 2012 turbo to fit a 7.3? If you're going to post 'no', please give a reason. Also, besides here, where is a good place to advertise parts like this turbo for sale?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anything is possible, but it is probably not worth it.

- You will have no way to control the "veins" in the variable geometry turbo
-There is no kit for what you want to do, so everything will need to be fabricated from scratch, including a new doghouse.
-You will need a full dyno session as the turbo is obviously very different in every way from the GTP38

Honestly, if you want better performance, it would be must cheaper and easier to add a billet compressor wheel and call it a day.

BTW, The BD-billet wheel with the full 8 extended blades performs much better than the 4x4 blade type wheels you see in the wicked wheel and riffraff for the Van turbos because of the 1.15 exhaust housing. I had purchase both, and noticed the wicked wheel performed a bit worse than the stock wheel, but the BD wheel increased my boost about 20% overall.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Xphobe, but I’m not concerned about more power. If I max my boost now, the CIL comes on and egt’s exceed 1200 real quick, and I have to wait for everything to cool down. I’m looking at the swap as strictly upgrade maintenance. At 150k, the van will be needing a new turbo before long.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have already rebuilt my turbo for $150 (kit) at about 130k miles, not including the cost of the billet wheel. It wasn't worn out by any means, but one day the turbo sounded a little different and I was worried. It turned out one small section of the thrust bearing was scored, like something solid went threw it. I did use the OEM rebuild kit, not the aftermarket brass 360* thrust bearing kit, so I cannot give any feed back on that. My EGTs did drop a little over 100* due to the billet wheel and I am personally satisfied with just that.

I honestly think you will have a very hard time trying to figure out how you are going to get your Variable-geometry turbo to work. You will need some type of stand-alone electronic control for it, not to mention all the fabrication to physically fit a standard rotation turbo into a system designed for a reverse-rotation turbo.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Cleve, my van has approx 450k on odo now, and I bought it with 250k on it. I dont even worry about it at all. I do however let it cool down before shutting off engine for a few minutes, watching EGTs. A good friend of mine specializes in turbo rebuilds of all kinds & told me that cooling it down is a good preventative . His dad is a turbo engineer. His name is Charlie, https://www.evergreenturbo.com/
You if you want, mention "Hammer" told you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts