The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 F-250 6.0 current mods are 4" banks exhaust with a hallow kitty Banks Technicooler stock air filter Bullet Proof EOC EGR cooler FICM its lifted 6" on 37" tires geared to 4:30 i have a SCT tuner but hardly ever run it.

I'm looking for a new turbo for my truck was thinking about a turbo labs or a power-max turbo.

My questions are the turbo bark i get while letting off the throttle will it go away when i go with a power max? or the turbo lab turbo? the turbo labs unit has holes machined into the surge housing..

also what does the serge housing do on a stock turbo? does it deflect the air back into the inducer?

What problems i'm having is when driving down the freeway and getting off i notice that while taking off from a stop light my truck lags real bad like the turbo was unplugged i get 0psi for a few [2-3 seconds] and blow a lot of black smoke. i also at times have a rapid change in boost pressure while in over drive climbing a hill the turbo starts to serge/bark until i let off the throttle to down shift then everything is normal again. until it goes back into over drive. FORD a few years back told me that it was my turbo so i replaced it same issue they then told me it was my tire size and not being geared so i geared it then then told me i needed more dense air so i got a banks cooler and last they said it was being caused by my exhaust having no muffler so I bought a banks 4" its not common but the problem will also happen down hill towing or not although i can for sure recreate it every time going up a hill and just cruising.

Any help would be great Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay here's an update I went with the powermax turbo and I changed to a banks tuner. my SCT had more power but I like the banks since I'm fine running it stock 95% of the time. I figured out the black smoke issue turns out the EGR valve was defective and the slide plate closest to the EGR solenoid was no longer connected to the shaft and was floating around at random. replaced it and no more smoking issue.

I do have one more issue with a turbo surge/bark while under load climbing hills it will release the boost like I'm letting off but only when the Torque converter is locked and I'm just cruising and increasing throttle slightly to maintain my speed. and it starts to bark and release my precious boost. has anyone had this? any know of anything to look at for this? Last question what causes the boost to be let out? what actually causes the bark. I'm assuming a internal wastegate or is it the EGR valve releasing the exhaust pressure to not spool the turbo?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
The 6.0L uses a VGT (variable geometry turbo). There is no Waste Gate and the EGR is not required for good turbo operation, although in stock programming they do work together.

With a VGT system, the inlet gas to the turbine wheel (the exhaust gas of the engine) is regulated by inlet guide vanes that are operated by a unison ring, and movement of that unison ring is controlled by the VGT solenoid.

The "barking" is most frequently from the turbo's unison ring sticking (the guide vanes can also stick).

Sounds like your turbo needs to be reconditioned.

You also need to verify that the CAC (Charge Air Cooler) system does not have a leak. Boots tend to split because of oil from the CCV system, the plastic CAC tube (if yours isn't metal) can also split, and the charge-air-cooler (some mistakenly call it an intercooler) itself can leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi bismic the turbo did this with a stock ford turbo as well as a jasper rebuilt turbo I ended up going with a PowerMAX turbo which also does this. I don't have any other ideas as to why under load it barks unless i tap the brake just enough to turn on the brake lights and it disengages the TC. and then runs like nothing happened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts