The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this site so I want to first say hello to you all. I have a 2002 F-350, my question is what you feel the best turbo upgrade would be I have been seeing allot about the Ball Bearing turbo's, I have also heard that I can use a turbo off of an E-series since they have a larger exhaust housing that would run cooler on my exhaust side since there housing is a 1.15 instead of my stock .84. I know the BB are using a 1.00A/R so would the van turbo cause me allot of turbo lag or will I even notice when I am running a chip. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'll add to the question...would a E-series turbo accept my Banks power elbow? Would it be a direct fit to my current parts... fresh air inlet, intercooler outlet, intercooler inlet...

Would the big E-series turbo cause so much boost and power that my head gaskets and studs would end up going south? Where is the added power range that starts to pop head gaskets and stuff...I would like to never pop my head gaskets...lol...

·
Registered
571 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hi I am new to this site so I want to first say hello to you all. I have a 2002 F-350, my question is what you feel the best turbo upgrade would be I have been seeing allot about the Ball Bearing turbo's, I have also heard that I can use a turbo off of an E-series since they have a larger exhaust housing that would run cooler on my exhaust side since there housing is a 1.15 instead of my stock .84. I know the BB are using a 1.00A/R so would the van turbo cause me allot of turbo lag or will I even notice when I am running a chip. Thanks for the input.

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't have any lag with a BB turbo and a good chip..

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the Garrett Ball Bearing turbo and I love it. There are other good turbos out there , but I have no need or desire to try them right now.

Jeff

·
Registered
256 Posts
I will second that, No lag even with 37's, just nail it and go.

·
Registered
713 Posts
4 reply posts and no one welcomes DeBolt... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Welcome to the best most informative site for Ford Diesels. You will find so much infomation here that you will wonder how you lived without it.

ZooDad

·
Registered
304 Posts
I will second that welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif

·
Registered
108 Posts
W E L C O M E !!!!!!!

Ihave looked into turbo upgrade as well. I was reading about a turbo that had little lag and also less pressure on the motor. I have looked high and low for the web site and havent been able to find it again. It was about $2200 for the setup. Anyone know what trubo setup Im talkin about?

EDIT: Found it. What does everyone think of this setup?

Nice Turbo Setup

·
Registered
571 Posts
Don't know about that one..But my GTP 38R BB was the best..I've taken it out now to sell but it has been the best mod I've done....You can't go wrong with one....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm a newbie. Bought the '99 F250 last week with 73k mi on the clock. I was looking under the hood yesterday and noticed that the turbo says "Garrett" on the side. Is this an aftermarket turbo? If so, how can I tell which model I have?
Eddie

·
Registered
879 Posts
All the fords use garret turbos. The BB is an upgrade of the original stockl Garrett. If you are looking for a new turbo check to see if you ae an early 99 or a late 99 it makes a difference

I have my second BB due to a blown engine throwing metal through the first one. The second one I got from Bob Riley and he will port it to help with surge. My original turbo surged badly the first BB still a little but the Bob riley ported turbo does not surge at all.

WFTREE

·
Registered
14 Posts
First time to post

I'm thinking about the BB turbo upgrade I see that you got the latest one from Bob Riley is that Dieselsite also any other things I should do along with the the turbo upgrade

Thanks

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
DeBolt
Welcome to the site,to answer your question yes the Van turbo would flow more air due to less exhaust restriction but would incur some lag.The BB turbo is the better choice due to the smaller a/r but the larger compressor wheel will also move more air draw back is it also comes with a premium price.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I'll add to the question...would a E-series turbo accept my Banks power elbow? Would it be a direct fit to my current parts... fresh air inlet, intercooler outlet, intercooler inlet...

Would the big E-series turbo cause so much boost and power that my head gaskets and studs would end up going south? Where is the added power range that starts to pop head gaskets and stuff...I would like to never pop my head gaskets...lol...

[/ QUOTE ]

The van turbo has a different exhaust bolt pattern so your Banks elbow will not work.Popped head gaskets occur from too high a cylinder pressure not any certain amount of boost.With stock injectors you will be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the tips. I now have the van turbo at my house with the flange adaptor from Diesel Innovations and a wicked wheel. I will be getting ready to do the install when I get a few more parts such as o-rings and things like that so hopefully I will be happy with this addition for now. I am sure I will see more advantages of this when I decide to get injectors in the future. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts