The Diesel Stop banner

Turbo whistle

3K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  WUNDERHOOT 
#1 ·
Just a gee whiz question. For those of you running an ATS turbo housing. How loud is the whistle compared to to stock housing? I also heard the best combo is to keep the stock wheel with the ATS. How about ATS+ Stock wheel+ Aftermarket wastegate. Let me know your opinions. Turbo noise is not an issue, it is a welcome by-product. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
ATS + WW + Tymar = dentist's drill on hyperdrive..... JMHO

#3 ·
[ QUOTE ]
ATS + WW

[/ QUOTE ]

Equals lag down low. ATS housing and stock wheel are much more daily driver friendly. Also JMHO...

FOMOGO

#5 ·
Sound is like appreciation for art, everyone's different. I think my ATS housing and a stock wheel is a bit loud when using a Tymar system. Add in a WW and I would go crazy! ATS and a stock wheel is about twice the whine as stock.

#6 ·
I went w/ ATS housing, had the stock wheel for a while and the whistle was nice, and no low end lag. Then switched to the WW and got even more whistle, but some low end lag.
In the interim, I now have a new bearing, shaft and wheel in the turbo and that baby sings. Next mod, taking the foil off the intercooler tube... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#7 ·
I've got the WW/ATS and do not experience any lag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif My turbo is right there and it runs very quick and strong. In fact, one of my neighbors who was a certified Ford diesel mechanic for years drove it last week and couldn't believe it. It makes his new F-150 with 5.4L seem like a V-6. That was his quote BTW. It is definitely extremely loud with the Tymar open intake though...but I likey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

#8 ·
I have an ATS housing, stock wheel, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, and the foil wrap removed. This makes for some great turbo sound... and the wrap removed allowed me to hear it from the engine bay so that once I roll up the pass. side windows, I still get some good sound. I like it very much.

Don't get it just for the sound, though...it makes for a good driveable setup, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif

#9 ·
One more inportant thing to consider, LOTS of the whistle noise comes out the exhaust. Replace the stock muffler with a straight thru muffler or pipe, and you will release even more whistle. Cheap, easy, low risk.

#10 ·
This is my experience: At stock, I could use my turbo at a long time part hill at 19 at all. Now that I have experienced the rest of the world, around 19 to 23 is the best that you can expect. I now have added a Tony Wildman 4 pos chip and boy did my X come alive. I kind of figure that my horse power went from 1 too 100 over night. Tony's tunes took me from $10. Just give Tony a call and he will be more than happy to get back with you about performance.

#11 ·
[ QUOTE ]
This is my experience: At stock, I could use my turbo at a long time part hill at 19 at all. Now that I have experienced the rest of the world, around 19 to 23 is the best that you can expect. I now have added a Tony Wildman 4 pos chip and boy did my X come alive. I kind of figure that my horse power went from 1 too 100 over night. Tony's tunes took me from $10. Just give Tony a call and he will be more than happy to get back with you about performance.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif sorry dont mean to sound like an @ss but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

what exactly are you trying to say?

#12 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif sorry dont mean to sound like an @ss but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

what exactly are you trying to say?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I read the post 5x's and have no idea what was said. I am totally lost at the first sentence.(at the first punctuation) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#13 ·
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're drunk right, come on, admit it, you're drunk.

Too much goofy juice.

#14 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're drunk right, come on, admit it, you're drunk.

Too much goofy juice.

[/ QUOTE ]
lmfao

#15 ·
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lollerskates. that makes no sense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#16 ·
"I could use my turbo at a long time part hill at 19 at all"

say hugh? , 10 dollar what now?

#19 ·
LMAO... Race that post is ridiculously funny. So out of left field. Maybe it was made for another thread? Or maybe a few sheets to the wind? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

PS - when did you get an Excursion? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

#21 ·
Yea I admit it, I was drunk. After coming back today and re-reading it it don't make sense to me either. Sorry Guy's. Man I feel like a real ass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#22 ·
I guess the question is, what was I trying to say in the first place. Ha Ha. Bare with me, I was just having a bad night. Must not have been feeling no pain.
I did honestly think that X meant Truck. My mistake. Now that everyone has had a good laugh, including me, this is what I meant to say. I have the ATS housing and a stock turbo wheel. I run a straight pipe and it does whistle. It is not loud but has the helicopter sound in the exhaust along with the whistle.

#24 ·
ATS + stock wheel + Banks BigHead = Nice turbo sound but not obnoxious. Zero surge/stall.

#25 ·
Just as long as you got a kick out of it too, Race. It sure as hell cracked me up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif I just read it again... LMAO!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I agree too, I have an ATS housing, straight piped exhaust, Banks Big Head, and the foil insulation wrap removed, and the turbo sound is JUST right. I think anymore would get old over long periods. I can hear the sounds from the front all the time now that the foil stuff's gone, but can only hear the whistle from the exhaust when the windows are down and only from about 1k rpm to about 1600rpm.

PS - I think foil wrap is largely strange for 100 hp or $2 to $6 or more and if you touch it it is ten times loud for the truck's hp and tunes. just call Tony or Jody and the ATS helps too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#26 ·
Let me get this rite.
You guys are removing the foil just to make the turbo sound louder. I was thinking about adding more to insulate the cold air from the engine heat. My theory is that denser/cooler air has to be better for the power than the lesdense/hotter air. At lower air temp there is more air packed into the same area to get the same PSI of boost therefore it is denser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.