The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, I'm still very new to this site, I joined approximate 10 days ago I left a message about help removing the turbo from my 1993 F350. It says I have 4 replies but I cannot navigate to them. Thank you for the people who replied even though I can't find them. By next concern is I did manage to get the turbo off I didn't realize he's under directly under the turbo was the drain tube or return oil tube. I am fortunate that I did not break anything pulling it up out, but the downpipe coming out one direction, and the oil return up another I'm just glad I didn't break anything. Now to the real question it appears that the I was losing a lot of oil out of the turbo into the air system that goes to the intake, the air radiator and all the aluminum tubes were full of oil. So I am assuming the oil seals in the turbo are bad. Does anybody have recommendations were to send the turbo for rebuilding, or is this something I can simply tear apart and replace myself. Thank you for your help Gary

·
Premium Member
8,671 Posts
There isn't 4 replies to your post but 4 replies total in the thread. When you piggyback onto another thread you might not get very many answers to your actual question

So you are saying that you have a cooler on your IDI 7.3 engine?

I'm sure that some of the more knowledgeable members on the IDI engine will be along.

Go into your account and click on settings and then on the left hand side click on signature and put in some information about your truck

·
Registered
397 Posts
@garyandjanet
Yes, you need to search the internet for russrepair dot com. He's got rebuild and performance information for the three main turbo options commonly found on these engines. You can also try searching for classic diesel designs, he's another good guy with lots of parts and expertise. The forums for these trucks had dwindled considerably over the years but there are still some very active ones. For more responsive help with these engines try looking over at oil burners dot net.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to thank bug man for his guidance on how to use form. I'm quite advanced in years but I am teachable. The truck I am working on according to the serial number is a 1990 F 350, it has the 7.3 IDI motor. I don't know if the motor in it is original, I have bought it about 1 year ago on eBay for a song and a dance. I am not capable of taking pictures of it I still use an old flip phone. So I will try to describe it to you it has a 10 foot flatbed aluminum dump on it, the cab was extremely rough, I have removed the whole front end I bought new fenders and doors, I bought new floorboard panels and just completed welding all the new panels in, I also replace the door doorpost and rocker panels. I have put about 2000 miles on the truck since I purchased it the motor seems to run fine I did not notice any problem with the turbo system and since I had removed as bug man called it the turbo cooler, I called it the air radiator, to remove the core support, that's when I found there a lot of oil within the Turbo core and also the aluminum pipes. The only thing I notice on the performance side of the tri truck, since I live in West Virginia it would overheat while pulling hills. I have also purchased a new grill the headlight buckets and the basils the parking light assemblies, so I'm able get it back together and get a paint job on it it will look very nice. By the way it also is a 4 Wheel Dr.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.I meant to say in my previous comments the truck is a 1993 model I couldn't find how to go back and change that

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
A turbo isn't bad to rebuild, You need to be careful not to damage any of the turbine fins. Get everything back together correctly, and oiling right is the main thing. If you don't want to rebuild it yourself, most injector pump rebuild shops do turbochargers too. If they don't, they can most likely point you to someone who does. I try to keep that kind of stuff local, because it is easier to get warranty work done that way, and local shops usually stand behind their work better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your reply there is no available here that does this kind of work a couple people told me it must be balanced, that is only thing that bothers me. I found a place in North Carolina called complete turbo they will do it for around $300 as long as nothing major is wrong inside. As I've mentioned earlier the truck seem to perform okay except for overheating when I started pulling a hill. Again I were not unknown by the all flowing through the air system had I not tore apart the truck itself to rebuild the cab. On another note I found out that the wiring harness the glow plugs are not available. So I bought some heat shrink tubes and Doubling up on them to create a new end that now goes down over the new glow plugs, actually looks pretty nice. I guess I'll keep my eye on it because I don't know what the heat from the engine will do to those. The people at complete turbo have been very informative they actually try to talk me out of sending the turbo to get a rebuilt the said my problem was a dirty air filter, all I know is it was extremely hard job getting that rascal off there. And there are no doors or fenders or even interfenders, so I think it's worth investing $300 so left to pull it back off again thanks for your reply I try let you know how I make out with the turbo.

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
For more responsive help with these engines try looking over at oil burners dot net.
Yeah, there's a lot of help over there and most of it's dead wrong. GaryandJanet, sounds like the previous owner added an intercooler. Since diesels, unlike a gas engine, have no intake vacuum due to no throttle plates it is normal for the intake ducting to be very oily over time, turboed engine or not. Not impossible, but turbo seals very seldom leak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts