The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not a good idea to drive without a seat belt, but here in the north(Minnesota) we have ice on the lakes and it's really not smart to have a seat belt on when driving on ice. Anyone have the trick for shutting off the seat belt chime?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You can't shut them off.

Just buckle the seatbelt behind you...I love ice fishing but you won't find me taking my heavy truck out on the ice IF there is any chance at all the ice is not thick enough.
I've watched you tube videos for how to turn it off the 2014 F150 and F250, but neither of those methods work.

Ice is NEVER safe, but I wait until late in the winter before going out with a one ton truck for sure. Still don't want the seat belt on when I am on the ice..

·
Registered
317 Posts
seatbelt

I have a 2014 SD 350 & I have the belt minder shut off on the driver side only. its very hard too plow with your seat belt on doing lots & driveways. I found all the info in my owners guide. :nerd: But put your belt back on when going to the next place its the LAW!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
From the 2015 owner's manual

Deactivating and Activating the Belt-Minder Feature (Driver Only)

WARNING

While the system allows you to deactivate it, this system is designed to improve your chances of being safely belted and surviving an accident.

We recommend you leave the system activated for yourself and others who may use the vehicle. To reduce the risk of injury, do not deactivate or activate the system while driving the vehicle.

Note: If you are using MyKey, you cannot disable the Belt-Minder. Also, if the Belt-Minder has been previously disabled, it will be re-enabled during the use of MyKey. See MyKey™ (page 51).

Read Steps 1 - 4 thoroughly before proceeding with the programming procedure.

Deactivate or activate the system by performing the following procedure:

Before following the procedure, make sure that:

• The parking brake is set.
• The transmission is in park (P).
• The ignition is off.
• All vehicle doors are closed.
• The driver's safety belt is unbuckled.

1. Turn the ignition on. Do not start the engine.

2. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off (about one minute). Step 3 must be completed within 30 seconds after the safety belt warning light turns off.

3. Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt three times at a moderate speed, ending with the safety belt in the unbuckled state. After Step 3, the safety belt warning light will turn on.

4. While the safety belt warning light is on, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt. After Step 4, the safety belt warning light will flash for confirmation.

• This will disable the feature if it is currently enabled.
• This will enable the feature if it is currently disabled.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a ton Larrgh!! That is one of the procedures I tried that did not work, but I think I do have mykey enabled. I appreciate the help!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did what Larry posted on my last 2 trucks and even a few friends trucks works like a charm. You have to follow the directions exactly.

Also you can go back to the chime whenever you'd like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone have the trick for shutting off the seat belt chime?
Sure do.. This can only be done by the Diesel mechanic at a Ford dealership or someone that has the same laptop and software that he would use to diagnose or flash your PCM etc.

I am very lucky to have a solid diesel mech. that turned the seatbelt chime off on both my 2013 and 2015 F-350's

Through his laptop he would access the trucks environment settings (I forget the actual menu's) and there is a belt chime (or similar) setting which he can click off. Inform him that it is on the same menus as light dimming, TPM, auto regen, tire size, fuel cell size etc. This is built into the superduty's environment because a lot of farmers, ranchers etc. need to drive around their property without belts on to do day to day tasks and don't want to listen to the belt chime. I pull a big 5'er RV and it is nice driving around a loop or backing it in a camping spot and not hearing the seat belt chime.

I hope this helps..

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
If you have a laptop with FORScan and one of hte ELM327 adapters, you can modify a lot of the data yourself for things such as dark car, DRL, DPF % screen, etc. Check out this link. You might can help the guys there with info and/or test some of the mods to the modules.

FORScan and As-Built Data - Page 6 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

It might work with a smartphone also with a bluetooth/WIFI adapter.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Seatbelt while driving slow on ice (which is the only way you SHOULD be driving on ice) is KINDA dumb

Taking an 8000 lb truck out on the ice at ANY time...is REALLY dumb. Get a snowmobile and use that instead. We want you to be around for a long time...plus it's easier to recover/repair a snowmobile that's been dropped in the water than it would be to recover/repair a truck dunked in the water.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seatbelt while driving slow on ice (which is the only way you SHOULD be driving on ice) is KINDA dumb

Taking an 8000 lb truck out on the ice at ANY time...is REALLY dumb. Get a snowmobile and use that instead. We want you to be around for a long time...plus it's easier to recover/repair a snowmobile that's been dropped in the water than it would be to recover/repair a truck dunked in the water.
I am not sure where you are from, but they take a lot bigger trucks on the ice than a one ton Ford here in MN. My fish house is 10' x 20' small cabin on 8" x 22' steel I-beam skids and weighs more than my F350. The truck they use to pull it could haul my F350. Early ice I use an ATV. Besides, the ice has all that water under it holding it up:grin2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's not about weight, but about pressure. It's same reason you lay down on ice when you hear that horrible cracking sound...it distributes your weight over more area. Your truck has contact on just a few square inches on its tires vs your cabin. Your cabin on one i-beam has 16.5 square FT of surface area (2,112 sq inches). vs what...20 square inches max with deflated tires for your truck?

As for where I am from, Delaware is not famous for anything freezing over, but I lived on the IL/Wis border for 30 years and did my share of ice-fishing. I ALSO know that there can be a thin layer of air between the ice and the water..it's not just "floating"

My advice is from watching others go through the ice. You yourself don't feel comfortable about wearing a seat belt while being on the ice so there must be SOME unease...Just be smart about it...

·
Premium Member
3,910 Posts
I am not sure where you are from, but they take a lot bigger trucks on the ice than a one ton Ford here in MN. My fish house is 10' x 20' small cabin on 8" x 22' steel I-beam skids and weighs more than my F350. The truck they use to pull it could haul my F350. Early ice I use an ATV. Besides, the ice has all that water under it holding it up:grin2:
10' x 20' ?

A little cramped for space, eh? :grin2:

Do you have a satellite dish ?

·
Registered
317 Posts
you need to be sure you have the master My Key to set the belt chime on / off a reg key will not let you do this procedure

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
10' x 20' ?

A little cramped for space, eh? :grin2:

Do you have a satellite dish ?
Of course we do, be silly not to have one:grin2:

Thanks for all the help gents, as soon as I got the admin key and shut off the mykey I was able to shut the darn chime off with no problem. I appreciate all the help

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have fun out there...you fishing for walleye or something else? Can't get good lake fish like that out here....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts