The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there newer SD brothers. I've searched and searched but cannot find the above info. I have to cut a U-turn in my backyard to pull out with my 5th wheel so I really need to know this info before getting a newer truck.
So anyone with a 2017 or higher, if you can, please cut a 180 in the dirt and measure the diameter of the outer front tire track. Let us know which configuration you have like long or short bed, cab size, etc.
Thank you in advance and hopefully this info will help others as well.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Why not just back into your back yard?

Where I store my trailers I can not pull directly into the area so I need to back in and for one trailer it is easier to unhook it in the driveway and then use a ATV to get it back into it's parking place. I know that you can't do this with a 5th wheel but if you can back that trailer into it's parking spot then you should be able to back the truck up to it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, but not possible. I have to squeeze into my backyard along the side, make a sharp right to the pad and park it until next time. Then cut the U and squeeze out the side again. I have 'rubbed' along the side a couple of times...with no serious damage. Here is an illustration of my yard and predicament.
20200621_075941_LI.jpg

Reactions: Big Horn

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
You do have a problem, how about purchasing 10-20' of your neighbors yard? o_O

Or for a easy way to do it, go on down to your local Ford dealer and take a few test rides in the type of truck you are looking at. While the salesman might wonder just what you are doing he might understand and help you out with it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually did buy some of the neighbors yard when they said they wanted a wall. The previous neighbor was nicer and gave me more room than I have now for a small annual fee. I recently modified my roof to clear a taller 5th wheel, but it is still very tight.
I'm reluctant to bother a dealer as I'd prefer a private sale but I haven't seen any locally. The dealer salesmen just salivate when someone starts poking around...lol

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
There are some great deals out there right now from dealers. Ever since I purchased a 2016 Explorer I have been getting mail from Ford telling me how much they will finance for me at 0% interest for 72 months. I could really go into debt if I ever took them up on their offers.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen some commercials recently, but when I pause and read the fine print, SDs are never included on the 'deals'.

·
Registered
93 Posts
hmmm.... I see why you want to know turning radius.

Pretty crazy how you get that thing in and out of that spot. Dealership test ride would be my vote.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it was no brainer until the old neighbor sold and the new one moved in, so I had to adapt to the tighter quarters or move. New one put up a block wall...
Still hoping some current owners can do a slow speed U-turn in the dirt and report here for all to see. Is that really asking too much?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Hey 69mach1377, my daughter and her boyfriend live North of me out in the country. He has either a 2017 or 2018 F250 SD 4WD. I’ll talk to him or maybe drive out there, is 180* turn radius in 2WD good enough? I know he has a CC short bed. Yeah, that’s a tight spot, Wow! Glenn

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Big Horn, thank you for the offer. I think any info that ford is not providing is good to show here for the benefit of all of us. I don't know about the differences between the 2 and 4WD models, but we can find out one at a time...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice post HeavyAssault, what is the source? I googled the hell out of it and could not find.
I was about to warn anyone trying to measure theirs not to lock the wheel for fear of over pressure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks, but not possible. I have to squeeze into my backyard along the side, make a sharp right to the pad and park it until next time. Then cut the U and squeeze out the side again. I have 'rubbed' along the side a couple of times...with no serious damage. Here is an illustration of my yard and predicament. View attachment 157784
Man that must've been a tight squeeze getting that trailer in there to begin with.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
May seem silly, but what about a trailer dolly?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for posting this. These trucks turn like sleeping pigs in my experience so it's nice to put a measurement to it. All my sleeping pigs are metric.
If that chart is correct, and it may apply to all SDs w/o front leaf springs, then it sure beats my old y2k 4x4. Sleeping pigs are best turned, or rotated, over a fire until they are just right, lol
Yeah, it's a tight squeeze both ways but I had to adapt to a less reasonable neighbor and now I'm stuck. Too make it worse, my yard slopes down into the back yard and it's all kind of loose sand. I guess I got used it.
A dedicated tractor would be nice, but overkill I think.

Reactions: mithrilux

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
If that chart is correct, and it may apply to all SDs w/o front leaf springs, then it sure beats my old y2k 4x4. Sleeping pigs are best turned, or rotated, over a fire until they are just right, lol
Yeah, it's a tight squeeze both ways but I had to adapt to a less reasonable neighbor and now I'm stuck. Too make it worse, my yard slopes down into the back yard and it's all kind of loose sand. I guess I got used it.
A dedicated tractor would be nice, but overkill I think.
I'd pay real money to watch you park that trailer in that yard. Holy hell.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
How much? We can video it next time :LOL:
So after looking at the chart for a while, something is odd. Regular and super cabs just say pickup. Crew cabs say F250/350/450 pickup. Hmmm...
It also looks like a long bed DRW 4x4 crew cab now turns about as sharp as my old supercab short bed 4x4. That would be great news although I don't need that much truck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts