The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 7.3….. I want to build it a bit by putting twin turbo on it and propane… I have a spare turbo off my 00 Powerstroke that needs to be rebuilt. I am going to rebuild it with a Banks impeller. I want to buy another turbo that will match that one. Is the 94 to 97 turbo the same one or do I have to buy another 99 to 03 turbo? Is the banks impeller a good one? What about the Actuator is a stock one still going to work or do I need to upgrade? Are there better products out there? Do they make a better injector for that year motor? Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
469 Posts
you need a turbo for the 7.3 IDI motor, NOT powerstroke. The powerstroke turbos will NOT fit.

there was a recent thread about this...

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Welcome to the Diesel Stop

Putting a PSD turbo on an IDI engine is an expensive undertaking.

Since the IDI can only take about 12 Lbs of boost max and the PSD turbo produces up to 25 Lbs,you will need to modify the wastegate. ARP stud kit (if available) will help but I don't think they will keep your engine together. Then there is the exhaust plumbing to fabricate. While twin turbos is doable, you have to ask yourself WHY?

Propane injection along with an IDI turbo would be your best bet. With a pyrometer installed, you can start playing with the fuel delivery of the IP for more power. If you have the money I suppose you could still find the "moose pump" and injectors.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Twin turbo is not about making more boost, it's about decreasing spool-up time by using smaller turbos.

I discussed this with someone and we came up with the idea of using twin Mercedes 78-84 diesel turbos, they are Garrett T0301 (at least in all US cars I've seen) oil-cooled models and they are available for little money. They run 11 psi stock and have an adjustable wastegate so they seem a good match for the IDI motor. It was suggested that the original manifolds could be inverted but you'd have to eliminate the stock oil cooler first (it's on my list of things to do... but I need some cooler ends to experiment with.) Or of course full-custom manifolds. And I'm not inverting anything, my turbo kit works great.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
you can do twins
2 baby turbos one per bank this will give lower rpm spool and a broader range
id do head studs anyway not necessary here long as you keep it under 15 psi boost

or compounds one turbo feeding another of 2 different sizes
this will spool low in the rpm too and have a broader range than stock
also the turbo setup is quite complex
almost requires an inter cooler
and to make above 20 psi (not much for this kind of setup) youll need to lower cr down so the boost dont lift heads
also id use stock turbo rods this will keep you from sheering a wrist pin
no gps will help lower cr too
youll need a better pump maybe a supermoose
so ya lots of work and any power over 400 get a girdle and

·
Registered
735 Posts
If you're going to spend all that time and money on mods, build something that won't grenade the first time you horse it. I think your effort would be better spent swapping in a Cummins.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I think you could do a TT IDI pretty cheap IF you could replace the stock oil cooler cheaply, and IF the manifolds can be inverted and mounted which I have been told but I have zero evidence. And it would open up the possibility of relatively lag-free intercooling since you'd be placing the turbochargers at the front and minimizing total piping length. The turbo on my OM617 can allegedly be turned up way beyond where the motor can handle it. You can get the turbos for $100 all day or $50 on occasion from Mercedes yards... they don't tend to go bad.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Twin turbo is not about making more boost, it's about decreasing spool-up time by using smaller turbos.

I discussed this with someone and we came up with the idea of using twin Mercedes 78-84 diesel turbos, they are Garrett T0301 (at least in all US cars I've seen) oil-cooled models and they are available for little money. They run 11 psi stock and have an adjustable wastegate so they seem a good match for the IDI motor. It was suggested that the original manifolds could be inverted but you'd have to eliminate the stock oil cooler first (it's on my list of things to do... but I need some cooler ends to experiment with.) Or of course full-custom manifolds. And I'm not inverting anything, my turbo kit works great.
interesting... when u start this keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
you can do twins
2 baby turbos one per bank this will give lower rpm spool and a broader range
id do head studs anyway not necessary here long as you keep it under 15 psi boost
i'd be careful running up to 15psi of boost in a stock idi. u'll really be compromising the longevity.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
interesting... when u start this keep us posted!
well just keep in mind I'm only planning the oil cooler delete, not the rest. I want to also relocate the coolant filter to the frame rail and work its plumbing into this job. I have a great working ATS 088 on my truck now. And my Mercedes wants its turbo to stay right where it is :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Read my signature...thats about all you're going to ever hope for out of an IDI. Anymore power gains to be had and money dumped into getting the power past my numbers just equals lower reliability and a plain waste of money compared to just swapping to a cummins or a newer truck.

BTW: don't think to much into my powerstroke turbo I have on mine. It took a lot of fabricating, mounts to the ATS manifold, and I am using it for it ability to hit 20 psi. I started with the OEM ATS turbo kit.

Fun idea though, best thing to do is just get an ATS or Banks kit and call it a day.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
What? Since when it is it expensive to spend $750 on a used $500 turbo kit? And why would it necessarily be inherently expensive to turbocharge it? You don't need to make any modifications to anything but piping.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Couldn't one have their engine parts freeze treated to withstand the higher power & heat the turbo boost would be generating?

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
The problem is not considered to be heat; the limiting factor is wrist pin hole damage when running higher compression on top of an already amazingly high compression ratio. The problem is not necessarily insoluble but there does not appear to be any direct parts swap path available as the 7.3 powerstroke pistons are believed not to fit because of deck clearance issues (the IDI offers none.) It has been speculated that a custom piston with an offset wrist pin or other modifications might mitigate this issue I believe there had been no evidence shared yet that such a modification would be possible or useful in this application.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Another problem with powerstroke pistons is there entire design altogether. The powerstroke is a your standard diesel engine design where the compression "squish" is built into the piston. Our IDI pistons look a lot like a gasser engine (flat instead of dished) because our combustion begins in our "pre chambers". The dish on the powerstroke pistons is too tall and it would hit the heads, and above all...wouldn't make a diesel requiring compression with our head design. You could mill the pistons, and they will slide in, and you might be able to get at least a 17:1 comp ratio...maybe. Thats a big maybe and a lot of money. So, psd pistons, out of the question.

A standard turbo kit is like he said 750 or as little as 500 and a little piping. That yields more power and better mpg (it isn't often I can say a turbo adds mpg haha). Best bang for your buck. There are non-engine related repairs you can do on your truck that easily total over the price a turbo setup would cost you.

My setup is intercooled, on a really hot day my intake air temps might reach 70 going down the road but most of the time is stays around 20 degrees cooler than the air outside the truck, even when I'm boosting. Heat on the intake side is not an issue really. Exhaust temps will always be a set back for all diesels, no exceptions. More fuel more heat.

It all comes down to how much money you want to spend. The IDI is a great engine and is one of the most reliable ever built, but it can't compare in horsepower capabilities anymore. With about 500 bucks put into my '03 7.3 PSD I put down 550 ft.lbs of torque and thats on a 7.3 with stock turbo, injectors, internals, everything but the exhaust, a boost raiser, and a tuner. Adding propane will put me over the 600 mark for about 200 dollars or so more. With about 500 into an idi, you might get a turbo setup, or if you already have a turbo setup you might be able to hit stock 7.3 psd numbers.

Sorry for the long winded post. Turbo it, give it a good tune, and have peace knowing your engine will be nothing but reliable for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts