The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. This is one of first posts even though I have been following numerous. I have a 2005 F250SD with 6.0 PSD and I love it, it is a beast! My wife calls it a tank. I have a number of concerns which makes me look at buying a F350 SRW or DRW. For me I am leaning more to the DW. We just bought a new FW that is rated at 19K lbs when fully loaded and only 15.5K dry. I used my F250 to pick it up at the dealer and had no problems pulling or stopping. That is when it is dry. When loaded my truck will be overloaded. On top of this concern we also have a truck camper that weighs 2900 1bs. Again my truck has no problem but we are looking at newer campers that weigh in around 4000 lbs. I do not want to make the mistake of buying a truck that will be right at its limit. I prefer to buy a truck which would give us options on what type of camper to buy. I know the F350 SRW will pull the FW but it may limit me on the type of camper we can get. Any comment or concerns would be appreciated.

2. My second question is to what are the major changes from the models years 2011-2016 to the 2017 and above. I am able to really good deal on used models but should I concentrate on 2017 and above models rather then the 2011 - 2016?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a 15 F250 and it's been a good truck so far. It's a little small for that trailer. It's only rated for 16,500 5th wheel.The F350 is also the same truck UNLESS you get the heavier payload pakage 11,500 payload. I do believe that you need a DRW for a 4,000 slide in camper. It's amazing how heavy they are. You can stay with a F350 and be ok. The 17's are a different truck than the 16's The 17 has more HP and torque. Other than that not much was changed. Ford just came out with the 10 speed in the 2020 with 1,050 torque.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I had 18 years in 99 and 2000 SRW CC LB F350's and loved it. 2 Years ago I got a 99 DRW CC LB. Positive: Less sway and rock solid with the 5th wheel, much better ride when empty. Negative: Harder to park for sure, lost some MPG.
DENNY

·
Registered
785 Posts
You are definitely in DRW territory, and my personal opinion, you should be looking at the F-450. You are looking at some big, heavy campers. You know the old saying, "Go big, or go home". And what I like to say, get the right tool for the job. With those big campers and weights, you need to go big with the truck also.

·
Registered
280 Posts
In some areas of the country it may be so expensive to register a 450 than a 350 DRW truck. That is something to consider. If I had the money I would just get a bus and hire a driver LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 2020 with the 10 speed tranny and gen III 6.7 PS is pretty impressive. Full disclosure: I have one on order to replace my 2006 F350. SRW depending on options will have right in the neighborhood of 4k payload. Personally I am not fond of DRW for manuverability in the woods and the odd occasion that I go to town in my truck and try to park it, as well as the extra expense of replacing 6 tires instead of 4.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got a 2019 f350 cc sb and my payload is like 2300. If you get regular cab long box 2wd f350 they can have a payload of like 5000lbs.

personally I love the crew cab. I came from a 2004 f250 super cab 6.0. This engine is wicked compared to that garbage 6.0, god that engine sucked!!!!!!!! I mean I cant express enough how much more potent this engine is. It pulls anything you throw at it with ease at 80mph. That old garbage 6.0 was just a dog and unreliable.
Sounded good though.

anywas, look at the payload chart on the new 2019 and 2020. You might be surprised what a srw f350 can do if you go with a regular cab and 2wd. If you need 4wd or the bigger cab that might force you into the dually with that 4000 slide in.
Or hey look at smaller
Slide in lol

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Anybody have a chart or link of the turning diameters of the new SDs?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Also, what makes the 2017s and higher much different than previous years? Are they worth the difference in cost as a used truck to keep for a very long time?

·
Registered
120 Posts
when they switched to an aluminum body they slammed all those weight savings right back into the frame and axles. If you haul with the same trailer with a 2016 vs 2017 you will feel the difference. These trucks are stout in the frame and suspension category.

this article kind of summarizes it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Thanks for the link. Next questions;
Is the 2020 that great an improvement over the 17-19s? I kind of hate to throw 10-20% out the window driving off the dealer's parking lot...
The tremor looks nice, but would it fit in a normal garage?
Anybody have a chart or link of the turning diameters of the new SDs?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not sure what the turning radius is for the 2020s, google may be your friend here.

The Tremor will fit in a 7' door but it will be tight. My 19 non tremor only has 1" of clearance on my stupid 7' door. I'm ok with it because it sits outside and only goes in unless there is an epic hail storm coming or for maintenance.

The 2020 diesel got some changes (google this and there are more changes than you think) and the big thing your getting is the 10 speed tranny, which is still up for longevity testing. The 19 and older got the solid as a rock 6 speed tranny that has been proven over the last 10 years.

I own a 19 XL diesel and my dad owns a 2020 Lariat gasser. My powertrain is a work horse compared to his, his overall fit and finish is far superior than mine. The biggest difference is the 10 speed tranny though.

I personally was too much of chicken to drop 60k on a first gen tranny and changes done on the 6.7 but its up to you.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yeah, I've been googling for a few days now. Can't find the turning radius/diameter anywhere.
IIRC the tremor has a 2" lift, so it may not fit.
I hear you on the new trans...

·
Registered
120 Posts
81.3" without options. technically even with a 2" lift you would still be under 84". I've heard that ford dropped the body down 2" to accomodate the increase option for the tremor package. Could be wrong though. Only way to know is go and measure one on the lot and make dang sure it fits before you buy or you will be spending another 60k building a another garage to house your already 70k truck, lol.

Or you can bust out the ol sawzall and start hacking away at that header. Who needs a a full size micro lam anywas, lol.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If only the header was the lowest part...my garage door itself is at 82", but that may be adjustable still.
Screw the house, I'll take it over to one of the shops you see on tv have them mod it with air bags...man. lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
lol. my buddy works at a tire shop here locally and they install those kelderman air lifts. Be prepared to drop around 35k between the lift and tire combo with install.

this is such a funny discussion because I have been debating making my 7' door into an 8' door at my house because if I throw a set of tires on this truck it won't fit in the garage. What really sucks is that I recently had all new siding installed and I just installed my own garage doors like 2 years ago. This 2019 F350 is like 6" taller than my old 2004 F250, these trucks are huge. I could literally live inside the cab its so roomy.

·
Registered
583 Posts
In some areas of the country it may be so expensive to register a 450 than a 350 DRW truck. That is something to consider. If I had the money I would just get a bus and hire a driver LOL
If someone somewhere is charging more to register an F450 than an F350 they are ill advised. Both of these vehicles are Class 3 GVWR 10,001 - 14,000 pounds. No difference at all for registration. It is a myth that an F450 costs more to register and this myth persists because of failure to do due diligence.

As a side note, it is a myth that an F450 carries more payload than an F350. The Ford payload tables clearly state that an F350 carries 1250 pounds more than an F450. However, this too is a myth foisted on those unable to figure out what is really going on. The F350 does indeed carry that much more, but... that is for a differently equipped F350 - gasoline, single battery, and lightest duty single alternator. An F350 equipped with diesel (that comes with two batteries and dual heavy duty alternators) is only capable of carrying about 200 pounds more than an F450.

The advantages of an F450 include 19.5" wheels, bigger brakes and wide-track front axle which is well worth the 200 pound payload difference.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I firmly believe that there is no such thing as too much truck. If you look at my signature, you will see that I used to own an ‘05 SRW F-350. While I never felt uneasy towing our 5th wheel with it, my preset DRW F-350 is such a beast that I will never go back to a SRW truck.
Admittedly, I am retired so I have never needed this truck to be a daily driver so I have no issues trying to fit into parking spaces at work or in town, although I don’t find it to be all that difficult.
I suggest that you & everyone else here check out my article, “Vehicles for RV Towing - How to Get It Right” which is published on www.thisoldcampsite.com.
Good luck,

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am also looking to buy a newer truck myself. I currently have a 99 F250 CC, SB, 7.3 that I use to tow our 5th wheel which is rated at 7,800 dry. This truck has about 252,000 on it now and it does an ok job towing the FW. The 7.3 diesel is known to be a work horse and last for about 500,000 before a rebuild if taken care of. I am looking at buying a used 17 - 19 model F350 SRW (don't want to spend the money for a 20).

My question is do the newer Super Duty trucks last as long and are reliable as the older 7.3L? I have read that the newer trucks, given have a lot more HP and torque, but they will only go about 200,000 before they start having some major (expensive) problems because of all the emissions crap they put on them now, especially if you are towing with it. Comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I cant tell you if 200,000 is the limit but I maintain the crap out of mine. I only use Motoprcraft parts, oils and filters. I only have 65,000 miles. I do however tow with mine. Since the plague the RV has been parked LOL i have however towed it a little over 30,000 miles. The new trucks tow so much better than the old trucks. UI did however get as new truck because I know how the truck has been taken care of. If you got the coin thats what I would recommend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts