The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. This is one of first posts even though I have been following numerous. I have a 2005 F250SD with 6.0 PSD and I love it, it is a beast! My wife calls it a tank. I have a number of concerns which makes me look at buying a F350 SRW or DRW. For me I am leaning more to the DW. We just bought a new FW that is rated at 19K lbs when fully loaded and only 15.5K dry. I used my F250 to pick it up at the dealer and had no problems pulling or stopping. That is when it is dry. When loaded my truck will be overloaded. On top of this concern we also have a truck camper that weighs 2900 1bs. Again my truck has no problem but we are looking at newer campers that weigh in around 4000 lbs. I do not want to make the mistake of buying a truck that will be right at its limit. I prefer to buy a truck which would give us options on what type of camper to buy. I know the F350 SRW will pull the FW but it may limit me on the type of camper we can get. Any comment or concerns would be appreciated.

2. My second question is to what are the major changes from the models years 2011-2016 to the 2017 and above. I am able to really good deal on used models but should I concentrate on 2017 and above models rather then the 2011 - 2016?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a 15 F250 and it's been a good truck so far. It's a little small for that trailer. It's only rated for 16,500 5th wheel.The F350 is also the same truck UNLESS you get the heavier payload pakage 11,500 payload. I do believe that you need a DRW for a 4,000 slide in camper. It's amazing how heavy they are. You can stay with a F350 and be ok. The 17's are a different truck than the 16's The 17 has more HP and torque. Other than that not much was changed. Ford just came out with the 10 speed in the 2020 with 1,050 torque.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I had 18 years in 99 and 2000 SRW CC LB F350's and loved it. 2 Years ago I got a 99 DRW CC LB. Positive: Less sway and rock solid with the 5th wheel, much better ride when empty. Negative: Harder to park for sure, lost some MPG.
DENNY

·
Registered
771 Posts
You are definitely in DRW territory, and my personal opinion, you should be looking at the F-450. You are looking at some big, heavy campers. You know the old saying, "Go big, or go home". And what I like to say, get the right tool for the job. With those big campers and weights, you need to go big with the truck also.

·
Registered
223 Posts
In some areas of the country it may be so expensive to register a 450 than a 350 DRW truck. That is something to consider. If I had the money I would just get a bus and hire a driver LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 2020 with the 10 speed tranny and gen III 6.7 PS is pretty impressive. Full disclosure: I have one on order to replace my 2006 F350. SRW depending on options will have right in the neighborhood of 4k payload. Personally I am not fond of DRW for manuverability in the woods and the odd occasion that I go to town in my truck and try to park it, as well as the extra expense of replacing 6 tires instead of 4.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got a 2019 f350 cc sb and my payload is like 2300. If you get regular cab long box 2wd f350 they can have a payload if like 5000lbs.

personally I love the crew cab. I came for a 2004 f250 super cab 6.0. This engine is wicked compared to that garbage 6.0, god that engine sucked!!!!!!!! I mean I cant express enough how much more potent this engine is. It pulls anything you throw at it with ease at 80mph. That old garbage 6.0 was just a dog and unreliable.
Sounded good though.

anywas, look at the payload chart on the new 2019 and 2020. You might be surprised what a srw f350 can do if you go with a regular cab and 2wd. If you need 4wd or the bigger cab that might force you into the dually with that 4000 slide in.
Or hey look at smaller
Slide in lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts