The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first noise is when you shut off the engine after it has been run for quite some time. When you turn off the engine it makes a squeaking sound, assumed to be from the driver's side. Belts are in good condition just replaced, all fluids and air filter replaced. Next issue is when you are at roughly an idle or under 30mph there is this low growl sound coming from the front, it also intensifies when you make right hand turns. Now, I'm not talking about that whining sound that Ford has with its power-steering issues, it is more of a low growl sound rather than a high pitch sound. I have both :( ...

Running a SCT Livewire TS for gauges.
Running a 6- position Swamps tune chip
K&N Cold air intake air filter
5" exhaust straight pipe

New shocks, new belts, fresh fluids, new sway bars, new sway bar bushings, new u joints, new ball joints, new tires-5,000 miles, new 4wd locking hubs, new rear brakes, new brake pads on front, etc.
Stock height, stock engine, stock transmission, stock turbo.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
the low speed growl indicates the drivers side wheel bearings as a right turn would "load" the left side bearing.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I never had a hub assembly smoke but I have had them make noise. You can jacking it up a check for play by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire. I had one that made growling noises but, didn't have play in it. It could also be the axle shaft needle bearing in the hub making noise. They need to be greased once and a while. You can replace the needle bearings if they are bad with some from the parts store. The dealer probably won't sell you them because they want you to buy the whole hub assembly instead.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts