The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have no problem getting liability or whatever, it's done, but what I have now is a truck that costs 5x more than the insurance payout. I talked to my agent today and they did a bunch of searching and couldn't come up with anyone that would insure the truck for a 10-15k payout.

I went through this with my Honda Odyssey campervan, all the off grid stuff in it plus the mods, replacement cost is way way more than someones crappy insurance would pay me. With that vehicle, since I live in one of the worst states for rear end collisions, I got a huge trailer mount cargo basket and put a full sized spare tire in it on turnbuckles. Would save the vehicle from many smaller vehicle rear-end collisions.

And so maybe now I start to understand why people mount "armor" all over their trucks, and upgrade to duallys, and all kinds of stuff, (to defend it), because perhaps it's just the reality that one can't get decent insurance to cover the replacement cost of their older vehicle?

Or am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
9,275 Posts
All you have to do is to declare the value that you want to insure your truck for. Then pay through the rear to insure it for that value.

If your agent can't find someone that will do that for you, you need to find a new agent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All you have to do is to declare the value that you want to insure your truck for. Then pay through the rear to insure it for that value.

If your agent can't find someone that will do that for you, you need to find a new agent.
Do you have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
9,275 Posts
Find yourself a independent agent and tell them what you want to do and they should be able to find you a company that is willing to insure your truck for what you think that it is worth.

But as I said, be willing to pay through the poop shooter and expect it to get rammed back in as you are doing so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Given how these trucks are starting to turn "collectible," you might need to look into somebody that does classic car insurance like Hagerty.

Dan
Dan, when I talked to State Farm they said they do have those kind of plans, but that they are for 'low mileage' which is under 3k miles per year.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
So I have no problem getting liability or whatever,
Are you willing to pay for full coverage? I have been insured by State Farm for over 37 years, with various vehicles during that time covered under full coverage, Farm use, low mileage, and liability only. It has been my experience with State Farm that when having a vehicle insured under liability only, and you are involved in an accident found to be the other drivers fault, State Farm will not get involved, any type of settlement is between you and the other drivers insurance.
And so maybe now I start to understand why people mount "armor" all over their trucks
I carry full coverage on my 2002 F350 Dually, when I installed my Big Tex Chrome Grill Guard I called State Farm to see if they offered any discounts for adding grill / brush guards......due to less collision damage or Comp damage from deer impacts? My agent said no, but keep all receipts, my brush guard ($570. I think) and other aftermarket add ons that could be damaged and State Farm would reimburse me for those amounts in the claim. I’m sure engine mods and the like that are not damaged by the collision are a different story. Chances are...... if my truck were “totaled” I would buy it back from State Farm, I have on every other vehicle I have ever had them total, and have made money on parting out myself, or helping out friends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts