The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 F250, front axle, driver's side knuckle to tube weld next to radius mount looks pretty nasty with spatter all over the area. Looks worse in person than pic. This anything worth mentioning or not a big deal?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Aside from the weld spatter, looks fine to me. It is a socket joint so it will be plenty strong. In welding school, leaving spatter is a grading failure, but only for teaching workmanship. Once you get into the field, nobody cares (unless you're welding military or nuke steam systems). Looking to make it a show truck?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha not a show truck, was just curious since I didn't know if it was a critical weld.

All of the f250s I checked at the dealer today had similar spatter in that location.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You could always change your user name from Ugly Jeep Truck to Ugly front axle.... :lol: :lol:

Reactions: yan7gin

·
Registered
734 Posts
I believe the axles are now made in a part of the world where - well a welder's helmet can't quite fit properly over the turban, so seeing what you are welding suffers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
I'd bet that the welds are done by robots and not people.

·
Premium Member
15,110 Posts
Probably that robot that tried to jump off the bridge during a super bowl commercial a few years back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts