The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got this truck from my brother... 96 7.3 4x4 manual crew cab.

Drove it back from colorado and found it was leaking/using about 1 quarter every 100 miles. The last place I dieseled up I saw quite a pool forming under the oil pan. Got it back and yesterday cleaned the bottom the pan and everywhere I could with degreaser and then started her up. I had the oil leak from the dipstick tube adapter, and then I saw a pretty good leak coming from the front under the curved part of the pan. When O looked closely, the leak is about 1/2" below the lip of the pan, and there seems to be a groove there that follows the contour of the lip of the pan, but 1/2" below it. Is this a normal groove? Looks to be oozing out of that groove and it looks to be enough to account for the 1 qt/100 miles.

I searched here and didn't see anyone who had this problem, Also googled images and don't see anything like it anywhere. None of the images I found showed the grooves.

I have all the equipment to pull the engine, flip it, clean and do the ford/IH rtv 3 minute goo reseal, but really am not ready for that task just yet. Plan of the moment will be to clean, clean, clean then clean a bit more and try the permatex 82099.

Mostly though, I'm wondering about the groove. I'll try and get pics, but the groove is in the narrow tall area back of the oil pan up and don't know that my camera can get a good pic.

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Ken

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
The dipstick leak isn't an uncommon one for a 7.3L. International sells a repair kit. for it. If done with the engine in place, you need to be careful not to drop the interior piece into the pan, but since you'll be pulling the pan anyway, it's pretty easy to fix with it off.

The leak on the front is a bit more uncommon. It means that the RTV didn't get stuck to the pan and front cover completely, either at the factory or if someone has had the pan off.

You do need to get it spotless, and your RTV application may not work very well, as it's got to be totally clean, and RTV doesn't stick well to already cured RTV.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Also have quick look make sure you dont have any oil coming from the valley.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
How can an issue with the RTV seal to the block create a cut/groove in the pan? I've heard of that happening on the BACK of the pan, when the flywheel cover, which has a forward-jutting flange, rubs up against the oil pan and, over the years, "slices" through it. The front is another story entirely. Is this by vibration, or the pan coming in contact with the crank somehow?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bet it's the dipstick seal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry your right. It is at the back of the oil pan and not the front. I'll get back under the truck this week and take a closer look, maybe get some pics too.

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
If its on the back of the oil pan its probably from the flywheel inspection cover. TSB 95-14-12 details it. My 94 had this problem and it only leaked when running. I cleaned the area using brakeclean and used some JBweld putty on/in the groove. Then I coated that with 3 coats of POR-15. Never had a problem with leakage. I did get the updated inspection cover, although you could just grind off the lip of the old one (my old one was cracked). Cheers!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love this site. You guys are awesome. That sounds exactly like what it is. I watched (as oil dripped on my head), the oil oozing out of the groove and to a slightly lesser degree, out of the dipstick nut between the pan and the nut.

This weekend will be cleaning and fixing weekend. Kind of tight space, but I'll take my time and hopefully get er fixed.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Find a video and plan so that part does not fall into pan. One kit has a long threaded deal to keep the part from falling in pan, not sure but it might be Dieselsite. If you need to clean to bare metal, make sure you paint before assembling or water will cause rust and problems. Go slow and be careful

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
For the groove, take note of Patrick's statement about the flange/lip on inspection cover. Don't put the cover back on unmodified. I cut the flange off with a tin snip and ground it smooth on the covers of our trucks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My brother said he had stripped the nut some years ago. I looked and I think he got back on ok, but it does leak between the pan and the nut. I'm going to try and use an external sealer for both the groove and the nut/pan. I really really really hope I don't have to pull the engine...

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get that kit from Diesel O Rings. My dipstick tube leaks, not bad but this kit is on my list for later, after tranny repairs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sigh, life always has a way to take time away from projects, I had to switch work vans with my crew as they went through brake pads into the disks in 3 months, so gut my e350 and their e150 and swap em out, then I find the ball joints on the e150 are DANGEROUS. So, then that project, and now the parking brake on the 2001 F350 broke. Parking brake pedal to the floor and looks like one side at the rear wheel is stuck in the applied position. Guess that will be this weekend's project.

Back to the 1996. Since the leak at the dipstick is more like a really bad seep, what if I used a sealer on that leak also? I have some pretty good duct sealing materials from my hvac business that would probably hold up the to heat. Or maybe the rubber permatex stuff. Reason I think that is my brother tightened the nut and I bet the part inside the pan is bent and won't seal to the oring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your help! So I've been apply a rubber coating to the the areas I thought the leaks were. I put on a good 20 thin applications over the last few months. I got the dipstick sealed up perfect, no leaks! I sealed up the area where the rub was on the oil pan and tranny caused by the tranny inspection cover. Started it up and dang, leaks dripping down both sides of the rear of the oil pan on the corners. No leaks from the rub area, but the oil is coming from above the oil pan or from the oil pan gasket. More on the starter side, probably 3 or 4 times as much. Could this be the plug on the HPO rail? Could it be the rear main seal? If it was the rear main, would there be oil in the tranny housing? I didn't see any leaks dripping from the tranny housing.

While I was down there, I found that 2 of the front drive shaft u joints were rusty and no needle bearings. Another project!

I'll get pictures later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll check that also, thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok getting somewhere, I missed a spot and I could see bubbling at the very top of the oil pan just before the curved part by the main seal (?). And oil flowing out of it. I did a video and lots of pics while it was running, then cleaned it all up and restarted the engine and then I could see the bubbling and oil flow. I also cleaned the valley area and looks like i have a leak there also. Just rewatched the vid and you can see the bubbling and clearly see the oil flow.

Also looks like it is leaking at what appears to be a fuel pump in the valley?

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh ya, and a tiny drop of grease on your eyeball hurts even when it is cold and it makes for a slightly blurry view of the world.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts