The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed while driving that I get a warm spot from the drivers side dash, in the left kickpanel area. It seems to be from the PCM area, but when I feel the PCM, it doesn't seem to be as hot as the surrounding bracketry in the dash.

What temperature does the PCM normally run at? I saw a post about a HOT PCM before, but this isn't hot, just warm. And while I'm moving, I can feel a hot breeze there, like I'm getting air from the engine compartment from somewhere. I know it's not the passthrough in the firewall, because it's coming from the far left side of the dash, not by the steering column.

Does anyone have any ideas on this one? I'm wondering about possible airflow past the PCM, maybe hot air from the exhaust mainfolds getting in, but how would you seal that area?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
There are wiring harness' that pass through the firewall in that area. If you feel any air movement while your driving then I would be looking real close at the harness boots.

·
Super Moderator
25,361 Posts
The harness pass thru's are most likely not the problem. The connections are sealed pretty well, as the connector halves bolt together thru the firewall.

I shot some temps underdash for another member and didn't find any hot spots under the dash. The PCM wasn't any hotter than anything else, including the firewall directly opposite the exhaust manifold.

If you've got an infrared thermometer you should be able to pinpoint the hot spot and get closer to a potential leak thru the firewall.

Good luck tracking it down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts