The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your van doesn't start with the ICP unplugged -- is that a sign of a good ICP?

I just replaced the ICP (OEM) in my 1996 e350. The old ICP started up great while it was unplugged. The new ICP won't start up at all unplugged. Is that a sign of a good ICP or is there something wrong with the new part?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Un plugged ICP would not be the reason for a no start. You may have introduced some air in the rail when you changed it out, which may account for the no start problem. Others that are smarter than me will chime in soon with more help.

·
Super Moderator
25,078 Posts
How is the pigtail that plugs into the ICP sensor? You may have shorted it out or otherwise damaged it when you changed the sensor. A partial short (high resistance) may be sending a false signal to the PCM, causing it to tell the IPR to dump pressure.

·
Super Moderator
25,078 Posts
Was (is) there oil in the connector. That could affect the signal as well. Try shooting some contact cleaner in there if there's oil. But with the ICP disconnected, it CAN'T be the ICP at fault. jleedog's comment about air in the system is valid. But even with air, it should eventually start with enough cranking.
It's possible the IPR is the issue. Is the tin nut holding the coil on tight?

Does it start and run good with everything plugged in? If so, I wouldn't mess with it.

Other than a no-start with ICP unplugged, what issue are you having?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The connector is clean, no trace of oil. The tin nut is solid on there. It runs great when the ICP is plugged in. The biggest issue I've been having is the van sputters without going into idle -- only on hot starts. I have to rev the engine 3 times to 3500 rpms to get it going. After that, it idles pretty consistently.

On cold starts the van starts right up. Every now and again I'll lose compression on the road. That lasts a few minutes before returning back to normal. I replaced the CPS and ICP, both OEM. Oddly, the van started up with very little sputtering with the original ICP after I greased the connector with dielectric grease.

I had someone tell me it could be the crankshaft sensor.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thought you said you changed the CPS? And I can't think of how that would be relate to unplugging the ICP Sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts