The Diesel Stop banner

Upgraded fuel supply and injectors

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  WillyD 
#1 ·
Quick question that probably has multiple opinions . . . If I'm looking to put in 250cc injectors, is it advisable to upgrade to a fuel system that supports "up to" 250cc or should I get a fuel system that supports beyond 250cc? I guess what I'm asking is if the advertised upper limits of a fuel system are under ideal lab conditions or could I expect the system to fully supply the injectors at all times (looking at IDP E-fuel system). Thanks.

#2 ·
That's going to be determined by your own philosophy.

Do you mind running things to their maximum effort to get the job done.

Or would you rather run things at an easy pace to get the job done.

If the difference in price is not enough to bother you, then get the unit with extra capacity that will not work so hard. The extra capacity may come in handy if you decide later to further upgrade and may allow for a longer life by not working as hard.

#3 ·
I don't know the IDP product line so I will just answer how I would with our product line. My first question is ALWAYS "how do you use the truck?". If the answer involves "daily driving", "drive for work", "tow rv with family" or anything else that suggests that "reliability" is a high priority, I lean toward using an OE type pump(s) as much as possible. If the answer is "weekend toy", "racing", "sled pulling" or any other "non necessity play or entertainment" use, then we talk about "billet race pump" type options.

I love the Fuelab pumps, they are fantastic and I ran the same one on my race truck for probably 8-9 years. That truck didn't see a lot of miles, but it did see a lot of sitting and that pump never once even acted funny. They have made many improvements in their pumps since mine was built. That said, I do NOT consider any "billet race pumps" to offer the same longevity/reliability as the OE pumps we use from Bosch in our dual pump setup. When someone wants "reliablity" as a priority, Bosch is always my answer. Bosch does offer larger pumps, like the 044, but be aware that they do NOT warranty those pumps when used with diesel fuel because they were not designed for diesel use like the OE pumps we use. Some have had good luck with them, others have seen failures. The OE pumps we run were designed and built under contract between Bosch and Ford specifically for the Diesel Super Duty, and we've seen those pumps still running with 200k+ miles on them.

Take that for what it's worth, and if you haven't, at least give our fuel supply setups a look. Irate builds a nice product too, just make an informed decision based on how YOU use your truck and you should be good to go.

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses fellas. Good insight. Mine's more of the light towing, weekend/family truck. Upgrading and working on it is more of a hobby. I'll check out strictly diesel and see what you guys have. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.