The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having 'my' transmission replaced with an ATS Stage 1 trannie and t/convertor package at the local Ford garage. While that's being done, it would be an easy task to replace the turbo. I know that the 2015 F350 will fit and is a bigger, more responsive turbo, but does anyone know if the 2017 will work? I ask about 2017, because that's the year that Ford increased the towing capability from 15k pounds to ~21k, so the 2017's should have a better turbo. If anyone can add input for this, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
No knowledge of actual fit or not, but the 17-18 turbo is like the 15-16 turbo, not a direct bolt on. It requires some parts besides the turbo to make it work. You would be better off going to some of the sites that sell the upgraded turbos and ask them. I have not seen anyone on here or any of the other forums talking about the 17-18-19 turbo as a replacement/upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, larrgh.

·
Premium Member
4,074 Posts
The '17+ turbos can be used in lew of the '15 model if you so choose. There is a different pedestal which you need anyway to run either the '15-'16 turbo or the '17+ turbos. I recall the oil feed or coolant feed was changed which causes the new pedestal to be used.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Heavy. Will the pedestal for the 15 drop in place on a 12 without mods? What about up pipes, would the 12’s bolt up or would I need pipes from the 15?

·
Premium Member
4,074 Posts
Thanks, Heavy. Will the pedestal for the 15 drop in place on a 12 without mods? What about up pipes, would the 12’s bolt up or would I need pipes from the 15?

Sorry, but I'm sure you need new pipes due to the newer compressor housing on the newer turbos. The aftermarket guys do sell OEM kits that give you everything or you could just go to the aftermarket pipes. Not to mention you would need tuning support as well with the '15+ turbos.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good morning, Heavy. Yes, you are correct on all points. I found a kit at KC Turbos for $2500, and it has everything including up pipes. It will upgrade the 11-14 G32 Turbo to the 15+ G37 Turbo. I’ve been in contact with KEM tunes for programming. If you know anyone that took over for PIP, could you PM me?

·
Premium Member
4,074 Posts
You and me both on PIP. I wish I knew the secret handshake to get in touch with those guys or any of the others that have ghosted. The best thing is there are still good options for tuning support without needing a new device or visit a shop just South of you considering your location. For your local guys you may need to be there physically to ask "the right questions". LOL

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again, Heavy. My appointment for the turbo and trannie is 11 March; looking forward to the upgrade. Hope the dealership has the expertise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts