The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new alternator as mine just burnt up. I am looking to upgrade to a Motorcraft 200 amp to support some future accessories. I know when going from a single alternator to dual or dual to single you need to program the PCM accordingly. My question is if I am simply going from the single 140am factory to single 200amp, will I need to have the PCM programmed?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was totally unaware that the PCM needed to be reflashed to support dual or single alternators... are you sure? I'm not doubting you, I just never thought about it... So far as I know the PCM cold care less about amperage, it just sees voltage- that voltage will drop if the amperage gets buried under load, but that is right before it croaks.... the PCM monitors voltage to protect items that are at risk during under or overcharge situations, including itself, and closes off the current via the controller if'n there is an issue...

I never understood why Ford looked at a single 200a as an upgrade from dual 135a's... it makes no sense... but, it leaves it wide open to safely have 400a onboard if you run some heavy electrical loads, and I don't think you gotta do a thing to the system to support that upgrade... maybe stouter grounds/leads would be a good idea, from the alternator frame/controller. that's about it?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts