The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be installing my waterpump here soon, and I'm wondering if the gasket itself is enough, or should I put a bead of RTV black sealant on as well?

Also, should RTV be put around the area where the thermostat goes?

Thanks..

Dale

·
Registered
117 Posts
i would say no.changed mine last year,and thought the same thing,but didnt do it.no leaks yet.just make sure everything is good and clean.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Its an Oring and it dont need any RTV

·
Registered
307 Posts
i used a dab of grease here and there to hold it in place and a thin coat of rtv on the thermostat.

also, anti-sieze on the bolts.

vince

·
Registered
742 Posts
stat housing oring and rtv for mine

·
Registered
444 Posts
i used a few small dabs of rtv to hold the gasket to the waterpump for installation. even though the t-stat came with an o-ring, i covered the whole bottom of the neck just to get a good seal especially because its prone to leaks. all been holding for a couple years now.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
vasiline on the gasket only

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree with Vince in the upper post with a minor differance I have been taught by a great mechanic years ago to drill a pin hole for pressure relief in the event of a failure in the thermostate.

It was great to talk to you Dale the other day. Sometimes going home is the best medicine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for calling

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I was forced to reuse my old gasket, I used some of my favorite grey rtv (I never use the red blue or black any more) as insurance, and it worked.

The next time I do a coolant service, I'll likely put in a new 203 thermostat and make sure I get a new gasket with it.

Yea, antisieze those bolts for sure, and don't over tighten!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Don't use RTV in anything that has an oil cooler such as all modern diesels. That stuff will clog it up badly and it only takes a little even if you "thought" you were careful.

Using any sort of gasket sealant on a square rubber seal ring is just plain hillbilly. The reason these types of seals are used is they work so well by themselves.

Birken

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I guess that makes me a hillbilly...

desperate times require desperate measures, it was a sunday afternoon and I needed the truck and nobody local had a gasket...

·
Registered
307 Posts
they got hill-billies in deetroit? i thought they were in beverly hills. tee-hee-hee

the dab of grease to hols a gasket or sealing ring is something i learned while working at a mercedes-benz dealer 24 years ago, works like a champ. as for o rings (square or round), i like to coat them with some new oil or apply a thin coat of rtv, just to ensure they do get to where they are supposed to go.

vince

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Don't use RTV in anything that has an oil cooler such as all modern diesels. That stuff will clog it up badly and it only takes a little even if you "thought" you were careful.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Birken, What do you use to seal the oil pan since your not supposed to use RTV and any Modern Diesel????

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
smart azz you know what he meant, the whole oil pan gets RTV only, so does teh timing cover port for the HPOP gear adn a few otehr things. I figuire a tube of RTV, head gaskets, adn a jar of aircraft sealant I can assemble anything.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
desperate times require desperate measures, it was a sunday afternoon and I needed the truck and nobody local had a gasket...

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you try it without RTV first? Most of the time a rubber seal ring will work fine if reused. As I stated above that is because they just plain work good. As for me I just put it together like it was intended to be and if it doesn't want to seal (rare), fix the problem rather than trying to goop it. On these Powerstrokes/444Es the water pump seal will stay put just fine without any added goop, gasket, grease or otherwise while you put on the pump.

Birken

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Well part of the difference there is that the oil pan and front cover are sealing against low pressure crankcase oil rather than engine water. They also have the RTV clearance built into the design.

Also, while you don't want to rely on it, you have the oil filter between the oil pan seals and the oil cooler. However the oil filter bypass normally runs about 1/3 of the oil at operating speed so it is not a catch all but the chances of getting extra silicone by it are slim. With the coolant system this is not true; there is no filter (usually) and if there is it is not "full flow", and also the way that the coolant flows through the oil cooler is more prone to clogging in this manner.

The problem is insidious as there is no oil temperature gauge so if the cooler becomes ineffective there will be no outward indication other than reduced engine life in the long run.

Birken

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Don't use RTV in anything that has an oil cooler such as all modern diesels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who was being a Smart Azz NIT? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Rocky you know Birken meant in the coolign system only, course you got to use RTV on teh pan and lots of other gaskets, but no the o-ring type used through out the cooling system, they are used so people like us do not use lots of RTV in teh cooling system as it will plug up lots of stuff.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Yes I was sure he meant that but What about a newbie? Would a newbie know thats what he meant the way he worded it? Oil runs through the cooler, So does Coolant. It takes RTV to seal the Oil Pan So what would a newbie think?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.