The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,038 Posts
Don't use RTV in anything that has an oil cooler such as all modern diesels. That stuff will clog it up badly and it only takes a little even if you "thought" you were careful.

Using any sort of gasket sealant on a square rubber seal ring is just plain hillbilly. The reason these types of seals are used is they work so well by themselves.

Birken

· Registered
2,038 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
desperate times require desperate measures, it was a sunday afternoon and I needed the truck and nobody local had a gasket...

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you try it without RTV first? Most of the time a rubber seal ring will work fine if reused. As I stated above that is because they just plain work good. As for me I just put it together like it was intended to be and if it doesn't want to seal (rare), fix the problem rather than trying to goop it. On these Powerstrokes/444Es the water pump seal will stay put just fine without any added goop, gasket, grease or otherwise while you put on the pump.

Birken

· Registered
2,038 Posts
Well part of the difference there is that the oil pan and front cover are sealing against low pressure crankcase oil rather than engine water. They also have the RTV clearance built into the design.

Also, while you don't want to rely on it, you have the oil filter between the oil pan seals and the oil cooler. However the oil filter bypass normally runs about 1/3 of the oil at operating speed so it is not a catch all but the chances of getting extra silicone by it are slim. With the coolant system this is not true; there is no filter (usually) and if there is it is not "full flow", and also the way that the coolant flows through the oil cooler is more prone to clogging in this manner.

The problem is insidious as there is no oil temperature gauge so if the cooler becomes ineffective there will be no outward indication other than reduced engine life in the long run.

Birken

· Registered
2,038 Posts
Let me put it another way "do not use RTV anywhere unless specified".

Basically the same thing on any engine, the best way to fix it is not by experience however tempting that may be, but instead through following the troubleshooting tree and the service instructions. If you don't have a manual then buy one. (for the newbies)

Birken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.