The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 Ford 7.3 Turbo using about a gallon of oil per 200 miles. I have already replaced one injector and all the o rings on the other injectors, I bypassed the doghouse on the valve cover with a heater hose and pluged the intake side of the inlet. No leaks around or under the pestal of the turbo.I've had a computer on the engine and everything (psi) looked great. No smoke coming from exhaust that I can see ( Its a dually). About ready to go crazy with it. HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
Was it doing this before the oring swap? It is possible for an injector to have an internal leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it was. I noticed oil in the fuel so I changed the o rings, and found 2 injectors with bad o rings, then it still was using oil I ran it with to valve covers off and noticed #1 injector had no oil shoting out of the elbow. Replaced the injector. And still uses oil. I have olny had the truck for about a year and only have put 2000 miles on it. Who ever owned it before me replaced only the right side injectors some aftermarket brand. The turbo wheel has been upgraded and the turbo pestal has paint pen markings on it like it came from a junk yard. How can I check it see if its an internal failer on an Injector? All the injectors look like they are pumping the same amount of oil out of the elbow return.

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
They'd have to be bench tested.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Yes it was. I noticed oil in the fuel so I changed the o rings, and found 2 injectors with bad o rings, then it still was using oil I ran it with to valve covers off and noticed #1 injector had no oil shoting out of the elbow. Replaced the injector. And still uses oil. I have olny had the truck for about a year and only have put 2000 miles on it. Who ever owned it before me replaced only the right side injectors some aftermarket brand. The turbo wheel has been upgraded and the turbo pestal has paint pen markings on it like it came from a junk yard. How can I check it see if its an internal failer on an Injector? All the injectors look like they are pumping the same amount of oil out of the elbow return.
If all 8 of your injectors failed internally at one time I would doubt they would loose a gallon in 200 miles . THere is no connection internally from oil to fuel . If it were , the truck would not run based on the oil loss . 5 new injectors leaves only 3 causing the problem . You may want to check the compression . A leak down test is most accurate

·
Registered
555 Posts
How many miles on the truck total?

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
Action- there are two members I remember who had internal injector issues leading to oil consumption. I have never seen it, but both of them had already replaced O-rings and continued with oil loss which was resolved only when new injectors were installed. I found one of the posts - no luck with the second yet.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/injector-o-ring-bad-249989/index2.html

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Action- there are two members I remember who had internal injector issues leading to oil consumption. I have never seen it, but both of them had already replaced O-rings and continued with oil loss which was resolved only when new injectors were installed. I found one of the posts - no luck with the second yet.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/injector-o-ring-bad-249989/index2.html
The loss of a gallon was my thought . That is a lot of oil. Not doubting that its possible . Given the fact he has 3 left . It seemed unlikely. I still havent seen the path from oil to fuel internally .

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
I think the only spot internal where fuel could meet HP oil would be at the intensifier piston seal (at least from what I can tell, it has a seal). A gallon does seem like a lot for that spot though. Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive got 180K on the truck, the only place on the turbo where I see where oil might be collecting is on the intake side on the bottom of the casing, that was due to a bad doghouse off the valve cover and my turbo was sucking the oil out and I bypassed that all together with a vent hose ran off the cover and down toward the ground. The truck runs like its new with no prob starting no smoke on start up and no lag when I step on it, the only time it smokes is if I hit 3k before I shift into 3rd. And its black smoke. I really apperacate all the input. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts