The Diesel Stop banner

V10 capable hauler?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  6757 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new 08 350, Lariat or King Ranch and just kind of assumed it would be a diesel. I've been doing some reading lately and have started wondering if maybe the V10 is worth considering.

Truck is going to be used haul sled dogs around -
- plan on taking the truck bed off , install a flatbed (weight ? #), a custom built set of dog boxes (around 1500 #) 20 dogs (1200+ #), sled dog equipment, dog food etc (1000#)

Is the gasser going to be up to hauling this load hundreds of miles or should I stick with the diesel? (if we take cost out of the consideration....)

#3 · (Edited)
The V10 will do a great job hauling a heavy load. Mileage will not be as good as a diesel but that engine will run for a couple of hundred thousand mile with very little going wrong with it. No particulate filter to deal with and just maybe, as good of mileage as the 2008 diesel.
My next truck will probably be a V10. I like my 7.3 but they are now history as far as purchasing one new. Time will tell if the 6.4 will be as reliable as the 7.3. I personally don't think they will be.
Jim

#5 ·
I own both a 06 F-250 with the V-10 and an 08 F-550 with the new 6.4 PSD, for what you have described for the use, I would recommend the V-10. The savings in maintance and cost of the PSD option would make the V-10 a no brainer purchase. As for the MPG, it is almost identical, but gas is .50 a gallon less at the pump.

#6 ·
I'm looking to buy a new 08 350, Lariat or King Ranch and just kind of assumed it would be a diesel. I've been doing some reading lately and have started wondering if maybe the V10 is worth considering.

Truck is going to be used haul sled dogs around -
- plan on taking the truck bed off , install a flatbed (weight ? #), a custom built set of dog boxes (around 1500 #) 20 dogs (1200+ #), sled dog equipment, dog food etc (1000#)

Is the gasser going to be up to hauling this load hundreds of miles or should I stick with the diesel? (if we take cost out of the consideration....)
Hey, I see you sometimes call NH home. Have you ever heard of the sled dog races held in Wonalancet NH?
NH Mushers Association :: News

#7 ·
A new V-10 with the standard 4.10 rear will do all your intended towing and more with a whole lot less initial cost, less fuel cost, and much less maintenance issues. You'll love it.

#8 ·
Ho OT - yep, I've got friends that have raced there.
I've race up at Stratford/Groveton and over in Vermont and Maine.

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like the V 1 is the sensible choice.
Just need to find one now !

#9 ·
They are tough to find on dealer lots....usually better off ordering it, then it comes exactly the way that you want it.

Is there a site when you can do a nation wide search of all dealers to find the truck you are looking for????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.