The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know - it's a Diesel forum, but wanted to share my experience with Ford V10 versus Diesels.

I really like diesels. Had 7.3 and wore out the truck before the engine. But upon replacing and at that time looking at all the issues with 6.0, decided V10. 2005 V10 F350 Crew Dually.

130,000 later and almost all hard towing 10K +, I can attest to the durability of this engine. I have multiple friends with 6.0 and 6.4s with many issues, and much higher costs.

Yeah, their diesels will slightly out pull me. But most of the guys (pulling toyhaulers and such) will overheat on long hard pulls. V10 hardly moves the gauge.

So, gas/fuel mileage. Yep - it sucks. I get 12 unloaded on freeway. 10 unloaded about town. Loaded towing about 12K and over hills here in Seattle, 7mpg at speed limit (60 - 70 depending on area). But my diesel pals are getting about 10mpg in same scenario, and paying $0.50 more pre gallon.

The biggest decision for me in used market was a v10 sells for $4 - 7K less than diesel in same year/truck/pkg. So, it would take me 20 years to recover in fuel mpg alone. If you consider also that I have much lower maintenance than most of my diesel pals..... something to consider.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
A V-10 vs. a 6.0? I might consider the V-10. A V-10 vs. a 7.3? I'd go with the 7.3. There are still plenty of them out there and some are bargains.

All depends on how much driving you do. I put over 50K miles on my truck
last year alone. My truck gets 10 to13 mpg towing, depending on weight. So based on 50K miles, figuring todays fuel prices(3.54 for regular, 3.89 for diesel) I would still spend $5K to $10K less than you would on fuel. You would burn 7142 gallons of gas(assuming 7 mpg) and I would burn 3846 gallons of diesel(assuming 13 mpg). Even at 10 mpg mine would only use 5000 gallons of diesel. And running empty (at 55 mph) I have gotten as high as 20.7 mpg. I usually drive around 60 so I usually get 18-19 mpg empty.
I would spend about $700-$800 on oil changes and about $48.00 on fuel filters. I have a K&N air filter so that's about $15.00 for the recharge kit. So overall the diesel is more efficient.

And with my programmer set in position 2(which is where I leave it, towing or not) my engine is making 305 hp and 520 ft/lbs. vs. your 300 hp and 365 ft/lbs. In the stock setting mine is 225 hp and 420 ft/lbs. I have never had any temp issues.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had a '99 V10 and it was a great truck. A couple times I ran out of torque pulling a 14K 5er up a steep grade, but that was it. It's difficult for me to get into the dollars and cents difference between the diesel and gasser. It all depends what you need. You did mention that the diesel was $.50 more per gallon, but that is not the whole story. Diesels typically get 30% better fuel mileage under load vs gas. In your example your diesel friends got about 43% better mileage. Now I know those are rounded numbers. But for the same fuel cost per mile, assuming gas was $3.50/gal, diesel would have to sell for $5.00/gal before is cost more for fuel on a trip to drive the diesel.

If I wasn't pulling a load I would also go with a gasser. They are cheap and easy to maintain. The only other limitation with a gasser is that you can't install a larger replacement fuel tank. At least not here in CA.

But, if only dollars is the consideration, then a gasser is the right choice. It's just not as bad as your original numbers.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
My 6.4 never overheats on the motor and when the temps climb the clutch fan kicks on..towing a GCVWR of 23-24K cross country and in the rockies..dead of summer.

I'd say your cooling system is working as designed..theres maybe not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL guess I asked for it writing in diesel forum. Badbart that's some serious miles and indeed the difference in mpg is a much bigger factor for you. I put only 15K per year.
Anyway, my point of post was not to take away from values of diesels - but to say that for those on a budget , and lower annual mileage use, I've had a good run with v10 under hard use.

Regard overheat, mostly pals with tune chips experiencing exhaust temp issues.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had an 01 F250 with the V10 and it was an excellent motor, trouble free for me I put a little over 100k on it before selling it to a friend and its still working good to this day but to compare it to the '02 7.3 I have now I would never go back to a gasser. I use my truck to pull my 28' enclosed sled trailer and I found my V10 would always drop out of overdrive in a headwind or small grade and the 7.3 never does it, once I get on the highway and up to speed it stays in overdrive till I pass or stop.

Here in Canada the price difference between gas and diesel is negligible, I filled up today for $1.199 a litre (cash price) and gas was $1.209 a litre.

I does cost more to change the oil and fuel filter but the fuel economy difference between my two trucks was 8-9mpg loaded and 13-14 empty for the V10 and 12-14mpg loaded and 18-20mpg empty with the 7.3

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just came out of a lifted 2007.5 Duramax. I loved that truck but having it as my daily driver no longer made sense (well did it ever?). Fuel and tires where getting too expensive.

I sold it, bought a car and figured I had some time before boating season (when I need a truck) to find something that would work as a tow vehicle. I found that there were more v-10s out there than there were Chevy 6.0s and this obviously made them less money. For what I need the truck works. It's been over a week since I last drove it so I don't care so much about the mpg it gets. I'd love to have that diesel power again but I don't need it and it would take me a decade to recover the cost of a Diesel engine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
And with my programmer set in position 2(which is where I leave it, towing or not) my engine is making 305 hp and 520 ft/lbs. vs. your 300 hp and 365 ft/lbs. In the stock setting mine is 225 hp and 420 ft/lbs. I have never had any temp issues.

Let me get this correct. You are comparing a STOCK V 10 to a MODDED diesel. That is already a comparison biased to make the diesel look like a better choice. However, I found some discrepancies in some of your numbers.

As far as the V 10 engine ratings, your numbers are off a bit. From a Ford site:
"In 2000, the Ford V-10 had a 6.8 L engine with 310 horsepower at 4,250 rpm, powerful enough to tow large amounts. It also had a maximum torque of 425 foot-pounds at 3,450 rpm and two valves per cylinder, with a single overhead camshaft configuration."

Gasoline here is $3.26.9 and diesel is $3.94.9. It's significant difference that varies by location.

BTW, what did the mods add to the cost of the diesel and did you figure them in the overall cost?

MPG assumptions. That's a whole topic in itself, open to a lot of individual interpretation.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Let me get this correct. You are comparing a STOCK V 10 to a MODDED diesel. That is already a comparison biased to make the diesel look like a better choice. However, I found some discrepancies in some of your numbers.

As far as the V 10 engine ratings, your numbers are off a bit. From a Ford site:
"In 2000, the Ford V-10 had a 6.8 L engine with 310 horsepower at 4,250 rpm, powerful enough to tow large amounts. It also had a maximum torque of 425 foot-pounds at 3,450 rpm and two valves per cylinder, with a single overhead camshaft configuration."

Gasoline here is $3.26.9 and diesel is $3.94.9. It's significant difference that varies by location.
BTW, what did the mods add to the cost of the diesel and did you figure them in the overall cost?

MPG assumptions. That's a whole topic in itself, open to a lot of individual interpretation.
OK, you win.....

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have heard nothing but great reviews on V10's, so they are a much better motor for a work horse over the 5.4?
Given the capabilities of the super-duty line (hauling and towing ratings), I could never understand why the 5.4 was an option. I owned an underpowered truck when I was young; never again. There's an old saying that sums it up - "There's no replacement for cubic displacement". The 5.4 may get the job done, but it'll be working much harder to accomplish it. I STILL miss my V-10 !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
More Torque,
The 5.4 has been a good motor for general use. I think for a contractor truck, it's a great option.
By the numbers, assuming 2004 and later 3-Valve Ford stated:

5.4 V8 BHP 300-320 (depending on year) and torque 365-390.
6.8 V10 BHP 362 and torque 457.

In the spirit of diesel and this thread, we're talking about used rigs, so let's also look at the 6.0 and 6.4 - whereas while the 6.7 is clearly a new and fantastic engine, it's also high priced in used market.

6.0 V8 Diesel BHP 325 torque 570
6.4 V8 Diesel BHP 350 torque 650

Clearly, the question is "How much power do you need?" The 5.4 might be fine if you are towing 7,000 or less and want the F-250/350 chassis.

What I found in shopping used, and the original point and message of this thread, was that based on my need of towing 10,000, that I've found fantastic durability and power out of my V10, and paid a lot less for the rig. Example, in 2009 when I purchased my current truck, I paid $15,000 for my 2005 F350 DRW FX4 CC Lariat pkg. with V10 and 78,000 miles. Looking at the similar packages and year/mileage in diesel, I could not find a truck for less than $24,000. Thus, I would need to spend $9,000 more to get the diesel.

I opted to buy the gas, and 60,000 miles later, in this thread, wanted to communicate how that decision turned out over time. My point is, that while I burn more gas, the reliability, quietness, and power of the V10 has not disappointed me, and in my case, the fuel difference would have never been recovered in the price difference.

Regarding the 5.4, I think the biggest challenge in used market is finding a rig with options you might like. Being the base motor, I've found that typically the only trucks with 5.4 are really basic models. XLs, Government basic ordered, or fleet types. Ford likely just didn't package XLT or Lariats with 5.4s.

In my experience, there are still some nicely appointed superduty trucks with the V10, and still thousands less than comparatively equal truck with diesel.

My point - V10 can save you money on initial cost, and it's a great hard-pulling, durable engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more note on this - I should have mentioned that two years ago, I added a superchip to my V10 and really enjoyed the results. No real change in MPG (still bad - about 12mpg unloaded, and 7mpg towing 11,000) but better power.

Stock 6.8 V10 BHP 362 and torque 457
5 Start Chip running 87 Octane and OD Lock BHP 405 and torque 560

For $250 bucks, this was a fantastic return on investment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Everything they say about towing a big fifth or hauling a heavy truck camper ( like me) with a diesel is true. You can ignore the signs that say 'Slow vehicles use right lane' if you want to. Just push your foot on the accelerator a little bit and you whiz past the slow vehicles with ease. I have loved both my diesels for this and many other reasons.

And yet ....

I'm about to switch out my Dodge 6.7 for a newer gasser. Why?

1. Diesel particulate filter issues. Over and over and now off warranty so ... $$$$ plus the constant nagging fear that the engine computer will bring us down to limp mode somewhere far from home out in the boonies and the MIL light turns on and the overhead console chimes and spits out a DPF filter 100% full ( it's happened twice on a trip to Alaska and again on a trip to Yellowstone. On both trips the complete DPF filter system and sensors were replaced at a dealership under warranty once in the USA and once in Canada. That's a many thousand dollar bill once the environmental warranty expires. By the way, we had less than 30,000 miles on the truck every time this happened and in Washington state it took OVER A WEEK to get the truck back while in the Yukon it took 3 WEEKS before the truck was repaired. This is both times at Dodge dealerships. And yes... I know you have to take these trucks on the highway once in a while to regen the DPF filter.

2. My old Ford F350 6.0 diesel had many $$$$ worth of warranty covered motor work done as well and let me down dead in the water a number of times all with less than 36000 miles on it.

3. There are more GAS pumps than diesel pumps in some places I like to go like the northern Yukon. Imagine signs that warn you to fill up before going on the road to where you are headed and you get the idea. Sometimes those very small settlements don't sell diesel, only gas because gas trucks are what people drive in the extreme cold of the Arctic.

4. Ultra Low Sulfur diesel fuel. It's a requirement for modern diesels and the full 6.7 Cummins motor warranty but it isn't guaranteed to be coming out of the pump in all parts of Mexico so ... that camping trip south of the border is on hold until I swap out my Cummins for a gas Ford F350 .

·
Registered
628 Posts
Since we've revisited an old thread already I'll throw my 2 pennies in...
I have a 1995 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban with a modified 454 and beefed up transmission. It'll tow just about anything and I dearly love it, but it is by no means my choice of daily driver mainly due to fuel mileage. My choice to keep a diesel is more than anything to do with longevity and frequency of towing heavy. I have 325k on my daily driver 7.3 and regularly use it to pull 14k+ loads. I fully expect to still be doing so at 650k miles. My suburban, the reason it's beefed up is it needed major repairs at 170k. And will probably need a whole new motor again in a couple hundred thousand miles if I were running it for what it was worth. So for me the initial cost of the diesel pays for itself by not having to replace it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
am looking at a 2005 350 super duty with the v10, new motor with a 150,000 mile warenty flatbed with side toolboxes oh yea and a new clutch. the guy is asking 11,000 for it, what do any of you think?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I'd keep looking to see if you can find one with a more reasonable price.

·
Super Moderator
11,710 Posts
A decently maintained V10 will run well above 250,000 miles. The only two possible transmissions are the 4R100 and the ZF6.

·
Registered
1 Posts

If you are comparing gas motors to the towing capability of diesels, you are mistaking. Not trying to be rude or prove anything here but I’ve owned a v10 and I’ve owned many diesel trucks. I own a HotShot trucking business, gas motors can’t touch the surface of what my diesel trucks can do. I started my company with a 1997 12V Cummins 5speed with 4:10 rear. I towed 25k up some of the biggest mountains around with that truck. Hard to believe but true. As far as the 2015 Cummins and up go, **** if you’ve got the right set up you can pull 40klbs I’ve got buddy’s who do it frequently. Peace ✌🏻

1 - 20 of 20 Posts