The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Your '81 Ranger? Or your '94 Ranger? Or your '07 Ranger?

GIGO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 92 ranger and it's a 92 bronco. Speedo isn't working. ....my question is is the Speedo control thats hooks to the psom located In the transfer case (since its 4x4) or is it located in the rear (of the bronco... in which I need to run a new cable or wire or whatever and hook up to my 8.8)??

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The PSOM is exclusively driven by the ABS sensor in the rear axle. This photo album's captions explain it in detail:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told that the 92 used one In the transfer case. No?

Also can I add the speed control in my 8.8 rear? Or do I need to use the rear from the bronco? Problem with that is that it will be too big.

Can you think of the easiest or any solution?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I need this ABS sensor. My question is can I just change the housing of my 8.8 to a housing of another 8.8 that has the ABS sensor?

I'm really not trying to change the whole f****** rear in this thing. I'm bleeding money on this build

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I'm not familiar with compacts. But I assume some years of Ranger/Explorer/Mountaineer came with the same ABS sensor on the rear diff that the FS trucks use, and that those axles will bolt into yours. This album explains the FS 8.8", including the ABS sensor:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Maybe; maybe not. But if you plan to drive off-pavement, what do you think will happen when you get a little mud, some gravel, a few vines, or a branch up in there? Even tall grass could trash it. There's a reason Ford put it INside a big cast-iron housing.

But JYs around me sell a whole axle for $80-250. How much is that polished billet bling? And how long do you expect it to last? I'd do it right the first time - it's cheaper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... turns out that After all of this running around trying to figure out what the h*** to do now my 8.8 has ABS and takes exact same freaking sensor. No one bothered to look. My truck isn't at my house or I would have looked.

All I have to do is rip out the ABS cluster out of a junkyard. Do you happen to know where the ABS wiring harness goes? I know it goes to the transmission but then does it go out to the inside wire harness or outside wire harness of the Bronco?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
What do you mean by "ABS cluster"? No, the ABS sensor isn't connected to the transmission. On '87-92 Broncos, it's connected from the frame harness, to the dash harness, where it splits to the PSOM (92-up only) & RABS ('87-96 F, and '87-92 Bronco). Look up most wiring diagrams here:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The link will not work. So you're saying that the ABS sensor gets basically hooked into the main wiring harness and then that's what tells the P Som to tell the transmission to shift?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Not exactly... Ford calls the dash harness the "main" section. And the PSOM doesn't control the trans; the EEC does. The PSOM converts the ABS sensor signal into a standard 8K pulses per mile, and sends that out to everything that needs it.

That link works fine from this computer, my phone, and every other computer I've tried.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Will the PSOM work without 4wabs ?
As I said:
...92 Broncos, it's connected from the frame harness, to the dash harness, where it splits to the PSOM & RABS.
No 4WABS on a '92 Bronco, which uses a PSOM. Only '93-96 Broncos got 4WABS (technically, 3-channel). F-series didn't get 4WABS until the next body style.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found a post that explained what wires to splice.

Sorry I didn't see that post that you sent. But you can get rid of the abs sensor and directly feed the peace on with the sensor on the rear axle

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
As I said - your '92 Bronco donor doesn't have 4WABS, so clearly the PSOM must work without 4WABS. '87-92 Broncos have RABS, and it uses the ABS sensor in parallel with the '92 PSOM. RABS doesn't have to be connected OR bypassed for the '92 PSOM to work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have no idea if the bronco had bad or not. Im trying to remember and thinking back like 2 years ago it might have had abs. Got the PSOM working by having it directly connected to the rear sensor. Tooth # seems to be the same I just have to recalibrate the PSOM so it's good for 31 inch tires. I think they had it set for 33's

1 - 20 of 20 Posts