The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here do extended trips with a family of 6 (3 in front and 3 in back)? How do the kids do, especially the one who has to ride the jump seat? We’re thinking of getting a trailer and if we have another kid, someone will have to ride in front, which is not ideal obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,171 Posts
No, but I did do a 12,500 mile road trip with my wife. We're still married. LOL

To answer your question (sort of), it depends on your kids. When I was a kid, we took extended vacations in a 54 Chevy station wagon, with the rear seat removed, and a deck installed where it was, and the 4 of us kids rattling around in the back. This was pre-seat belts. We did OK.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Sounds like a nightmare. I couldn’t pull that off. Suburban type vehicle an option? Full on RV?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a nightmare. I couldn’t pull that off. Suburban type vehicle an option? Full on RV?
We have a Yukon XL Denali for our family vehicle but I’m not convinced it would be safe to tow a travel trailer big enough for 6. I may be wrong. I’m currently looking at the viability of that option.

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
Sounds like it is time for a Expedition

What are the ages of the kids?

If nothing else frequent stops with seat rotations.

It was a lot better back in the 50's and 60's before all the interstates when you could stop and see the two headed snakes and all the rest of the roadside oddities

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kids are 6,5,3 and leaving room for a newborn if it happens. Ive been looking at the excursions but it seems many of the parts are no longer made. That and the bench seat with no headrests isn’t sweetening the deal. Being rear ended at any speed with no headrests will mess you up...forever.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
There are books on what causes kids to show up. Cheaper than buying a new truck.:D
DENNY

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
My kids must have read them books!:unsure:
57 and still no grandkids in sight.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I have had six adults in my crew cab for some pretty long trips. Front middle is kind of tight for a adult but should be just fine for a kid. I was one of seven, by seat on the way to church on Sunday was the back window shelf of the Chevy. I read the books so I don't have any kids but my friends that seem to do well traveling get them up early and run them hard so when they get in the truck they fall asleep.
DENNY

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Just a few things to think about.

First, check your state laws for age and height restrictions for children. Also keep in mind, no air bag or shoulder belt in the middle section, so if something happens, the middle rider will smack face first into the dash. I have been in two 45 MPH crashes due to weather, and I would not want one of my kids to have been in either of them in the middle front seat. They may catch the edge of the bag, but who knows where their head may end up.

On a long drive, you may not like it much either as it gets pretty cramped up there. While it's OK for getting cramped in the back seat, the driver still needs to be able to move freely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts