The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it usually necessary to replace the gasket when removing the valve covers. 2002 F250 PSD

·
Premium Member
15,103 Posts
No - they are reusable. The only time you would ever swap them is if the electrical connection was damaged. The 02-03 models had an updated gasket that keeps the internal connection from coming loose, so you should be good with your truck. Why are you pulling the valve covers on a truck with so few miles? You shouldn't have any engine work to do for a few hundred thousand more miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More than likely to test or replace the glow plugs if necessary.

·
Super Moderator
26,499 Posts
The 02-03 models had an updated gasket that keeps the internal connection from coming loose, so you should be good with your truck.
I know the new UVC harnesses had improved latches to keep them from coming loose, but as far as I know, the gaskets are the same as the earlier models.
Glow plugs could easily need replacing at 130k miles. But they can be checked from outside the valve cover. No need to remove the VC unless the check shows high resistance on one or more GP's. If one is bad, the whole set should be replaced.

jesilva, you should check the Hard or no-start link in my signature for info on how to test the GP's from outside the VC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts