The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through the various articles about vibrations but most are very old and hoping there may be some fresh thinking now to help me figure this out as it driving me crazy.....

I purchased a 2015 F-350 6.7 1.5 years ago and had a problem with the the LPFP making all kinds of noise, after a year of Ford service telling me the LPFP filters were very dirty and replaced them I finally told them to drop the tank and inspect it and lo and behold there it was one cardboard paper from inside a bottle cap that was lodged inside the pickup tube. Problem fixed no more noise. Now the BUT. After picking the truck up I notice a buzzing vibration that could be felt throughout the truck, steering wheel, brake/gas pedal, seats, everywhere and most noticeable at idle while in park or gear especially when cold but can also feel it while driving at highway speeds. Not sure if related but thought I would add it in case it is. The other issue also began immediately after the the tank drop; the MPG as shown on the dash readout will on some report 9-12 mpg @ 7gal/h then jump to 19-23 mpg @ 4.8 gal/h after about 30-50 are so miles all while driving at 65mph at 1500 rpm or by cycling the engine.

Sorry for the rabbling but even though the two issues seem unrelated both began right after the tank drop.

I did try to get the dealer to look at it but they said diesel engines are known for vibrating. Let me put it this way, I started looking at trading in for a new truck but due to the vibration issue the dealerships wanted to take around 8k off the trade-in value.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
4,327 Posts
Good details.

I would probably look at the fuel pump as one possible culprit.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I don't think I have ever felt a fuel pump through the steering wheel, brake/gas pedal, seats or the floor. If presented to me the first thing I might do is to look for something under the truck grounding on the frame or more likely on the body somewhere. "Something" would be any part of the engine/transmission or anything connected to them. Bent or damaged exhaust, unsecured fuel lines and such. To be honest - removing and reinstalling the fuel tank does not involve anything that might cause this. As for the fuel pump I agree they can make a lot of noise and if that is the case I would suspect air is in the system but again that should not create a vibration you could feel.

·
Premium Member
4,327 Posts
I don't think I have ever felt a fuel pump through the steering wheel, brake/gas pedal, seats or the floor.
Thats OK, not everyone has kept up with the modern times and become more in tune with their feelings and sensitive side.

😉

Reactions: ford_doctor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think I have ever felt a fuel pump through the steering wheel, brake/gas pedal, seats or the floor. If presented to me the first thing I might do is to look for something under the truck grounding on the frame or more likely on the body somewhere. "Something" would be any part of the engine/transmission or anything connected to them. Bent or damaged exhaust, unsecured fuel lines and such. To be honest - removing and reinstalling the fuel tank does not involve anything that might cause this. As for the fuel pump I agree they can make a lot of noise and if that is the case I would suspect air is in the system but again that should not create a vibration you could feel.
I agree dropping the tank should not have induced the vibration, I loosened the tank shield and then tank straps to see if the tank / shield were binding but I didn't notice any change. I performed a visual / physical inspection under the truck and nothing popped out as being loose but did notice the vibration was most noticeable with the exhaust pipe. The cold weather makes the vibration more pronounced so I will perform a more thorough inspection now that it's getting cold here. As for the fuel pump it's been pretty quiet after removing the restriction from the tank and one of the few places I don't feel the vibration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts