The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Niether code is valid according to my documentation.

The VT365 has some important differences from the Ford 6.0L version. It ismportant to know that the VGT actuator is not ground-side controlled meaning instead of duty cycling the ground circuit the voltage supplied is varied.

KOEO you should have 0 volts at pins 1 and 2
The actuator resistance measured at it's connector should be between 3-7 ohms
LOAD TEST the ground circuit at pin 2 for the actuator.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I do remember things got complicated when Ford dropped their big truck line and Sterling got involved. Some early model Sterlings had OBDII connectors and you used Ford data, others had Deutz connectors and you used either a International scanner or a ProLink and used International data.
By the way getting Ford data during that transition around here was like pulling hens teeth.
The dearships pulled all the old manuals and they didn't like to go dig them out assumeing they even would. Around here most wouldn't.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
There is definetly voltage at pin 1 and it varies with koeo. I am not able to get the exact voltages, but as soon as the key turns on the solenoid pulsates to the same cycle as the injectors (by cycle I am referring to the same rhythm and tone that the injectors are doing). Then the solenoid goes to about a steady 9.3V after the injectors are done. It stays there until the glow plug relay switches off and then the volts go up to 10.5. I have checked both wires to the solenoid and they are in good shape. I have a brand new turbo/solenoid, egr valve, Ebp sensor, and glow plug relay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have checked the grounds that are by the engine fuse box and the grounds by the starter.
One more thing to add, the reason I replaced the glow plug relay is the red (i think its a 8 or 10 gauge) wire feeding the relay would get really hot when the key was on, not just warm, but hot. I assumed the relay was shorting out so I replaced it, but it still gets hot. That wire I believe goes straight to the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
That wire gets hot because it draws a ton of amperage. I don't know if the IH wiring and the Ford wiring are the same, but on Fords I always advise that guys run another 4 gauge wire from the alternator charging post directly to the + terminal on the RH battery. This reduces the amount of current the stock single wires has to carry and improves charging and battery life, which in turn ensures FICM health. I also advise running a dedicated 4 gauge ground from one of the alternator mounting bolts to the chassis ground lug to reduce issues with differing ground potential.

Not that I think any of this has anything to do with your current issue, just FYI.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I still haven't got this resolved…….
Just took it to the dealer to have the pcm reflashed and they didn't find anything (according to them)…
The actuator has 10.4V with KOEO. As the Ford Doctor said the International should have 0V, does anyone know why this is????And what I can do to fix this money pit..

·
Administrator
24,979 Posts
@verifysuccess
You'll have more of that (success) if you start a new thread in the proper forum, and tell us more about the symptoms and whether you've checked for codes. Piggybacking on a years old thread doesn't work well. Also 2006 International VT365 hasn't been back since his last post in this thread. Also, he has an International, which is a bit different than the 6.0L in a Ford.
Also go to your profile and add something in your signature indicating what your truck is.
Welcome to TheDieselStop.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
@verifysuccess
You'll have more of that (success) if you start a new thread in the proper forum, and tell us more about the symptoms and whether you've checked for codes. Piggybacking on a years old thread doesn't work well. Also 2006 International VT365 hasn't been back since his last post in this thread. Also, he has an International, which is a bit different than the 6.0L in a Ford.
Also go to your profile and add something in your signature indicating what your truck is.
Welcome to TheDieselStop.

He has a 2007 IC CE200 International school bus with the 2006 vt365 engine. He contacted me on Powerstroke.Org.

I couldn't offer any help as I am not familiar with the PCM giving a command over 85% on the VGT actuator (commanding them closed) and I am not familiar with the International PCM "interface".

@verifysuccess - Not sure why I had the IPR in mind when I replied to you over on the Org, other than I was extremely busy then. Apologies for that. That said, I do not have any experience with seeing over 85% commanded on EITHER the VGT actuator or the IPR, but I do know it happens.

I agree that starting a new thread would be best since the OP of this thread is inactive.
@klhansen - I can re-post this response if he opens a new thread, but thought I would add my thoughts here while I had some time to think a bit and compose a response.

@ford_doctor would be the one that would be most likely able to help. That said, I will just throw out some guesses for now - they may or may not identify something we can "run with".

You could have a bad VGT actuator, a sticky turbo (vanes sticking), exhaust leak, or an EBP issue.

Post the MAP, Baro, and EBP values at KOEO (post in PSI please).

Also, when the VGT actuator is disconnected the valve will default to the open position. Start the engine, let it idle for a minute or so, and then disconnect the VGT actuator and listen for any changes in turbo operation.

Also, when vanes actually close, like yours are being commanded to do, it should increase the pressure in the exhaust manifold. Are you sure you do not have an exhaust leak?

Make sure that the EBP tube is not plugged up, and that the EBP sensor isn't also plugged/caked with soot.

To test a VGT solenoid, measure the resistance across the VGT solenoid coil with a digital multimeter (remove the connector to expose two male pins). The resistance across the solenoid coil should be between 3.42 & 4.18 Ω when engine oil temperature (EOT) is at 73° F. If the engine is hot the resistance should be between 4.4 to 5.3 ohms @ 200°F EOT. If the resistance reading is out of spec, the solenoid needs to be replaced. Keep in mind that it is much more common to experience stuck/sticking VGT components than it is a faulty VGT solenoid, both of which will hinder turbocharger performance and possibly throw turbocharger related DTCs.

Below are some other tests, but you need a way to command rpms and the VGT:

Test 1 - Checking VGT operation
• Using WDS in datalogger mode, highlight the RPM PID and command the engine to approximately 1200 RPM and the EGRDC# PID to 0%.
• Then highlight the VGTDC# and increase it to 85% and record the EBP_G (Exhaust Pressure) & MGP (Manifold Gauge Pressure).
• Next command the VGT to 0% and record the EBP_G and MGP PIDs. At 85% the EBP_G should be below 7.3 PSI and MGP should be above 0.87 PSI. At 0% the EBP_G should be below 0.73 PSI and MGP should be below 0.45 PSI.
• If it is within this range and no compressor wheel to housing contact is present then do not replace turbocharger. If it does not move or is not within this range then proceed to Test 2.

Test 2
• Raise engine speed to 3500RPM and hold it at that point while monitoring EBP_G and MGP.
• EBP_G should be between 5 and 13 psi and MGP should be between 2 and 6 psi.
• If MGP and EBP_G are both high, disconnect the VGT control valve electrically and rerun the
test.
• If MGP and EBP_G change inspect the wiring harness and connections.
• If MGP and EBP_G do not change (lower) when VGTCV is disconnected remove the valve
from the turbo, being careful to handle the valve by its solenoid body only, and plug it into the
engine harness.
• Then apply pressure to the cam follower (tip of the valve) with your thumb while actuating the
valve with the WDS and look for movement.
• If the valve moves then proceed with Test 3, If the valve does not move replace the valve.

Test #3
No-Load Boost Pressure Test
RPM VGTDC# EBP_G MGP
Idle 60-82% 0-6 psi 0-1 psi
WOT 30-45% 4-18 psi 2-9 psi

21 - 32 of 32 Posts