The Diesel Stop banner

VOPC Off-Limit

3K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  DAN HARBAUGH 
#1 ·
jeez... your url link to this message just got posted to edmunds super duty & this vopc methodology is ALL OVER those threads. Jason, you may want to post who you are over there & voice the problem you're having with Ford in regard to this. The members are extremely understanding in regard to an issue like this. BUT... Ford DOES need to implement a strategy for ANYONE with a VIN (or order #) to check "beast" status. and too bad that they can't "support" this? sorry, but I can't climb onto their "pitty pot". those people are making more money than GOD & they can't spring for another server or two? have that supervisor post to us members WHY they can't do this, would you please?... because anyone paying the kinds of bucks these things demand, also demand themselves a little bit more service out of Ford wouldn't you think? damn right (and I'll just bet ANYONE they wouldn't have any problems with "service" if they were spilling red ink). oh, I'm "lewac" over there too. and finally getting our psd beast TOMORROW! -Lee

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JLester:
I was contacted by a supervisor from Ford's VOPC today about the number of calls to them from non dealers. I'm asking for all of you to please stop calling that line to check your order status. It was never intended for use by customers. The correct procedure is to contact your dealer for an update on order status.

If we stop doing it, they said they wouldn't have to involve lawyers. I definitely don't want that to happen! Ford-Diesel.Com would most likely be shut down as a result since I don't have the time or money for something like that. Shawn is removing the info from the 1999 FAQ and I am removing all forum messages that mention it.

There's no use debating whether you should or shouldn't be allowed to check status. It's a moot point as far as Ford is concerned. I always knew we were on shaky ground with this issue.

Thanks,
Jason
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See less See more
#6 ·
Don't bash other forums.. Some of us use many forums as they have good people and good information posted. No one on Edmunds has ever said anything negative about ford-diesel.com, in fact we often point to the great information thats posted here and on www.f150online.com.
We're all one big happy family..

------------------
2000 F250 XLT 4x2, SC, SB, 5.4L, 5sp, 4.10LS

#8 ·
Yeah, but let's be honest, didn't calling every 6 hours make you, and everyone around you a little crazy? %&*$#(*&!!!! It's still clean and unscheduled...., remember those bad old days?

------------------
99.5, 350, 4x4, DRW, CC, Lariat, ESOF, 4R100, 4.10 LS, Camper Pkg, Trailer Pkg, Off-Road Pkg, Oxford White/Prarie Tan, Line-X bedliner, K&N air filter, Fumoto drain valve, Torklift Class V hitch and camper tiedowns, Ride-Rite airbags, Lance LC780

#9 ·
Roger, I don't think Jason was referring to people, just the way the forum is setup.

Edmunds, on that one page, have about 5 different topics running at once with the only common theme is the vehicle.

It would be a little cleaner to seperate out the conversations into threads than a general free for all forum like edmunds.

Not the people, just the software

Oh, FAQ is updated to reflect the new rules.

SP

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Moderator
shawn@ford-diesel.com
1999.5 F250 PSD CC 4x2 LWB Black over Tan, Built 3/08/99

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 02-01-2000).]

#10 ·
I think that we all agree that we as owners/perspective owners who have put money down and ordered a vehicle need a automated way to find out the status of our trucks. FORD VOPC must be driven crazy by those people who call and want to talk to a real person. If you call the automated line, what difference would it make to VOPC. When I have called, I NEVER got a busy signal, and only once on a Sunday did I ever get a system down data. I think too many people can't figure out how to decode properly and end up wanting to speak to a real person. This person has plenty of work to do and not be bothered by us. As for the dealers, most dealers are too inept & incompetent to ask for a update. If FORD really wants people not to call the VOPC, than they should require the Dealers to call all factory ordered customers twice a week for updates. Make the dealers earn a few dollars that they are going to make on our orders.

Or better yet, set up another non toll free automated number so that those of us who want a update can get one on our dime.

------------------
Ordered 2000 EXCURSION on 11/16/99, Chestnut, PSD, 3.73 LS, AT Tires, Skid Plate, Tele PWR TT Mirrors, Chrome Wheels, Reverse Sen. Aid. 1/27 Serialized to be built week of 2/14/00, Priority 01!

#11 ·
I think Ford needs to be aware that many dealers are now giving out the VOPC number to their customers. I was personally given the number by two different dealers. They even told me how to convert the VIN. A friend of mine had the same experience with our local dealer. They got tired of him requesting order status every other day, so they gave him the number and told him to do it. Ford needs to have a chat with its dealers first.

------------------
99.5 250 SC 4X4 PSD Lariat Black and Tan Superchip

#13 ·
This is really IGNORANT IMHO. Does or does not Ford pay the phone bill for that number? Is this a published number (by them)for the public to use? If not then I don't see the problem. Is it OK to go put everyones unlisted phone # up on the web? By the way are GM & Dodge's number available? I'm for free speech, but this is... By the way if they didn't ASK to have the # removed, and instead "threatened" then they have some learning to do too.

#14 ·
I gotta throw my 2 cents worth into this one! I do concur with Jason as far as removing the VOPC references in "his" site. You often see posts that ask is anyone from Ford is looking at "this stuff." Well it's obvious they are! From the call Jason got, I have to assume the supervisor had someone that has a truck on order and contacted a live person and they said they got the info from here. And Yes Ford does pay the dime since it's an 800 number. But through all the Hub-Bub, I have to wonder if Ford got a message from those of us wanting to know the status of our vehicles?

In today's information society, we want information and we want it now. The technology is available for it to be delivered. I would hope, that Ford realizes the number of Ford owners here and listens to our comments. If they would harness the resource they have available, rather that try to control it, they could easily propel themselves ahead of the other manufacturers. I bought the truck I did because I needed a vehicle that could (and does) perform the tasks I need it to do. When it was on order was I anxiuos? Yes! Did I want to know where it was in production? Yes! Did I want to know where it was on the train? Yes! So did alot of others here. Further; when I have a problem with it, I want to get it fixed the right way the first time. Ford is obviously spending time looking at what is going on in the the world around them and they need to get the message about what customers are really looking for. Better dealer education and service. Better production information. Better customer relations. I'm not an expert on vehicles; but, I drive one every day. I think I am qualified to provide input as to what works for me and what doesn't. I am starting to open Pandora's Box here, but the moral of the story is; if Ford would look at it's customers and taylor itself to them and their needs, rather than dictate how a customer will act for them, they would have a hard time prying a Ford from a dead man's hands. I hope the "rumor" of Ford opening a web site is true. But it better work. I've been trying for a week to register on the Owner Connection and keep getting a "The system is currently down, try back in a few minutes" message. It's been a week. Ford I hope your really listening. We are sending you a message.

------------------
2000 F350,PSD,6spd,XLT,CC,LWB,4X4, ACM, TTT mirrors, TT/CC Pkg, Dark Toreador Red

#15 ·
Just my take on this issue.

If some unscrupulous person were to post your unlisted phone # in every bar bathroom east of the Mississippi, then the only alternative is to change the number and only give it to the people who need to have it. It doesn't cost that much to change the number!!!!

Ford ought to take a hint and use this line for the average consumer who has been given a VIN from his dealer!!!! There is an obvious need for it.

Once the cat is out of the bag, it's hard to catch him again!! The damage has already been done. Sounds like their "lawyers" have too much time on their hands!!

Just my 2 cents worth!!

----------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!!!

#16 ·
Agree with removing the info - after all it was their nickel.
Was great while it lasted, but Ford could learn a thing about customer satisfaction. Building the best truck doesn't mean you can be arrogant and aloof. Sooner of later folks will settle for somthing else if the customer support and feeling of being wanted as a customer is portrayed by the vendor.

Jason for better of worse, is shows that the Ford boys read this forum - hopefuly they will learn a thing or two

------------------
2000 F350 Lariat PSD 4x4 CC SB White

#17 ·
Ford's demand to remove the VOPC number is simply good "expectation management". No sense letting us pesky customers expect good service BEFORE the beast arrives. We might begin to be spoiled and want to be treated right AFTER, too. Can't have that.

Also, it must be really tough to have so many buyers of these high-margin vehicles that the poor computer system is swamped. I should have such problems!

It does seem odd, though, that Ford objects to customer use of "their" system. Most companies I know would rather have customers answer their own questions than bug the people at the dealer, who are usually clueless anyway. If the problem is that some callers end up talking to a live person, why doesn't Ford simply change that part of the call-routing program to say "Call your dealer, Dummy!"?

Ford: Get an idea!

#19 ·
JLester how about this: sent up a new number for the dealers and require entry of their customer number to use it. Also, when a human is requested, verify the caller is a dealer rep. Next, set up a toll number for the customers that does NOT give access to a human, then put an automated message on this number of the new customer number and discontinue this one after about two months. And oh by the way, post the new one all over creation!!!! Better yet, get a real web site that works and be able to let the customer get this info from there (I'm in this buisness, its not difficult, don't understand what their problem is).

------------------
2000 Chestnut Excursion Limited 4X4 V10 3.73 gears with all the goodies

#21 ·
Ford needs to get a tracking system like United Parcel Service. Each parcel gets a number and can be tracked any hour any day by going to the UPS web site. Its all automated, doesn't require any UPS humans on line and doesn't run up their phone bill.
A Ford buyer ought to be able to track his vehicle from assembly line to dealer and everywhere in transit in between.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.