The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok bought this truck in an attempt to kind of restore it . Well one eye sore is a set of wires connected to what looks like a selenoid or something right next to the turbo on the passenger side. What is this thing

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Glow plug controller. In the turbo engine it sits on the passenger side valve cover.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
No. Its sole purpose is to energize the glow plugs for easier starting.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
The IDI engine is totally mechanical. There are no sensors or any electronic controls. The only "electrical" part needed to keep an IDI engine running is 12VDC to the FSS.

I suppose if the Alternator failed, then sometime later the voltage to the FSS would drop enough to shut off the fuel.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Ok bought this truck in an attempt to kind of restore it . Well one eye sore is a set of wires connected to what looks like a selenoid or something right next to the turbo on the passenger side. What is this thing
Put your truck in your signature.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The caption of this diagram explains how to collect most of the relevant info:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok still trying to diagnose my problem. Taking the shader valve out now where should I get /what kind of psi gauge should I put in its place to check the psi

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Any fuel pressure gauge will work. It only needs to read up to 10 PSI. I have (had until someone needed it more than me) a set from Harbor Freight I think it was like $25.00

With the schrader core out just hook the pressure hose to that fitting.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
You don't need to core the valve - just screw the gauge's hose onto the fitting.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
If you can't get to a Harbor freight, get a 1/8" NPT back mount gauge 0-30 psi. Screw the schrader valve out of it's socket, and put the gauge in its place. You might want to put a needle valve between the gauge and the filter housing, to take the shake out of the gauge needle, so you can read it. It'll cost about 30 bucks if you get the good stuff.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
You don't need to core the valve - just screw the gauge's hose onto the fitting.

That works if the hose has the proper end fitting. With the core out you can also do the volume test.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts