The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just want to start out saying I'm new to the forum thing and diesels for that matter I just picked up a 07 F350 6.0l I've heard horror stories about these trucks but I couldn't pass it up,the truck has 140k 8"lift w/38s fully loaded and they guy seemed to take care of it
so what I want to know more about is how to bulletproof the 350
1-should I do a EGR delete or a just stick with oem egr cooler and if I do the Delete what's it gonna cost to keep check engine light off?

2-I'm looking for a good quality coolant filter kit what's your thoughs and what would you recomend? Also is this somthing a novice guy can
install or will I have to take it in? Also install time approx.

3-oil coolers what do you recommend do I stick with the oem or go after market? Of aftermarket what brand,price,install time and so
one
I don't know if this would be over kill for my use or not I haul a 30' bumper pull nearly every weekend from May-Sept and drive my truck atleast 50km a day all hyway

I've only had this truck for a short time nut I want to know what I can do to make it last,previous owner says he had no problem except for fuel control module and injector that were replaced about 13-14 mnths ago
soooo ya please leave any feedback that can help me keep my truck running strong for years to come

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome
Well you have to start out with gauges to tell the health of the motor first before you find out how many $$$$ you may have to put into it and a coolant filter is a must need one ASAP to remove the casting sand and a fuel pressure gauge because under 45lbs at WOT you are killing the injectors.
2 stroker:ford:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Welcome
Well you have to start out with gauges to tell the health of the motor first before you find out how many $$$$ you may have to put into it

X2 :yesnod:

·
Super Moderator
25,408 Posts
2-I'm looking for a good quality coolant filter kit what's your thoughs and what would you recomend? Also is this somthing a novice guy can
install or will I have to take it in? Also install time approx.
Check at Dieselsite.com for a coolant filter setup. Bob Riley sells good products, and the instructions will be clear.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
any idea how long the back order is?

·
Registered
112 Posts
1. You'll have to buy a tuner to turn the check engine light off as a result of an EGR delete.

3. I just installed a BulletProof oil cooler (and EGR cooler) - they make a pretty good arguement against the OEM oil cooler. Install wasn't hard, just time consuming. They recommend removing the A/C condenser in order to mount the oil cooler. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of recovering and recharging the A/C, so I managed to pull it off without removing it, but it took a lot longer.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
filters

I ordered 2 coolant filters systems 10 days ago no sign of them being shipped yet. Ordered them online from their sight. Wish they would post stuff like that before I ordered

·
Registered
9 Posts
Question for someone that would like to install a coolant filter, EGR delete, and get some sort of fuel pressure gauge. Does anyone know of a supplier/website that someone in Canada, B.C. could order from? (with a reasonable price for shipping)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try JB's Power Center in Edmonton or Calgary

·
Registered
63 Posts
"blue spring" upgrade and 6.4 banjo bolts will help keep injectors in check. There are some complete solution kits out there. I got mine from MKM Customs and cost about $1700. It came with sct tuner black onyx gaskets, arp headstuds, oem oil cooler and egr delete kit. There is no such thing as "bulletproof" but if you take care of it and it will run strong for a while. I read alot on here that most guys say to stick with the oem ford headgaskets though. I have the black onyx from sinister and seem to be fine with me.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
if i were to bullet proof the truck so to say and planned on towing alot with 38" tires i would do head studs with ford gaskets. i would delete the egr completely. a coolant filter is a good idea but also changing the coolant ever 50k miles (not km as i dont want to do the math to figure that interval) get a set of gauges that monitor fuel psi, egt, tranny temp, oil temp and coolant temp. (fuel psi is not avalible from the obd2 port and will require a seprate sendor for a digital gauge set up. with analog; gauges it will be about the same on fuel psi. once the egr is deleted you will have a check engine light and to remove that you will need to get a custom tuned device like a sct tuner or the gryphoon. my recomendation is a sct x3 with a edge insight or a gryphoon (which is pretty much a edge evoloution but contains custom tunes from power hungry performance) considering the towing you plan to do i would stay conservative on tuning and stay at a 25-80hp tow tune. using a turbo braking tune will help with towing and is something that is common with sct tow tunes. even with a conservative tune the power increase will be noticable. that should allow a better towing experience and keep you pretty reliable.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
"blue spring" upgrade and 6.4 banjo bolts will help keep injectors in check. There are some complete solution kits out there. I got mine from MKM Customs and cost about $1700. It came with sct tuner black onyx gaskets, arp headstuds, oem oil cooler and egr delete kit. There is no such thing as "bulletproof" but if you take care of it and it will run strong for a while. I read alot on here that most guys say to stick with the oem ford headgaskets though. I have the black onyx from sinister and seem to be fine with me.
black onyx vs ford head gaskets? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Don't be fooled by this thread title:
10,000 miles on my Black Onyx heagaskets! So far, so good. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Arp Studs + Black Onyx= FAIL - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

black onyx - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

·
Registered
63 Posts
@ darsey715. That's your opinion. My truck is at about 525 hrspwr. and the tech that did the work is a lead superduty tech at a Ford dealership. He did the work on the side at his.shop and he did everything correctly. Example check the heads for flatness. I asked him about the black onyx deal and then he pointed to his truck with 450,000 miles on black onyx head gaskets. If the work is done correctly the gaskets aren't going to be failures on the truck. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
@ darsey715. That's your opinion. My truck is at about 525 hrspwr. and the tech that did the work is a lead superduty tech at a Ford dealership. He did the work on the side at his.shop and he did everything correctly. Example check the heads for flatness. I asked him about the black onyx deal and then he pointed to his truck with 450,000 miles on black onyx head gaskets. If the work is done correctly the gaskets aren't going to be failures on the truck. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.
450,000................. hmm that sounds kinda high since they started offering the "black onyx gaskets like 2 years ago well maybe 3. he has a 6.0 with 450k on just the black onyx gaskets? that is alot of miles in a short amount of time. i was to the opinion that the black onyx gaskets were better about 2yrs ago and actually purchased a set that never ended up on one of my trucks. i would use the stock international or ford gaskets if i was wasting my time. save money where you can use what works. the guys pushing the limits arent oringing heads and doing crazy things. they are using arp studs and stock gaskets on a motor that supposidly dosent have enough head bolts. btw they are making over 1000 rwhp on those gaskets. my opinion

1 - 20 of 22 Posts