The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I found a 2011 F-250 that is for sale that had the long block replaced.
Evidently it had a loss of compression from the #2 cylinder- according to the Oasis report.
The truck is $4000 less than any other truck like it on the market... which I really like.
However, I don't know if it is worth the risk. is the long block a completely new engine (other than turbo, alt, etc..)?
any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
We can't answer that for you.
A long block could be A. New B. Rebuilt C. Used

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
If it is on the Oasis report, you should be able to determine if it was a new long block or a rebuilt long block as Ford is the only one that has access to Oasis. I highly doubt it is a used long block for the same reason. See if you can get a dealer to print the Oasis and help you decipher it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got off the phone with the Ford tech who did the work. It is a Ford remanufactured motor. They replaced the case and the heads and all of the rotating parts inside. It has the original turbo still.
I'm going to push for a warranty on the work, but the newish engine only has 80 miles on it now...

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Just for clarification on your original question:
As a rule A SHORT BLOCK is just the engine block with the rotating assembly. No heads or manifolds and accessories ( water pump, alt, turbo...)

LONG BLOCK will have the heads, and I have seen oil pans included. I haven't had eyes on a 6.7 long block so I can't speak to that.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The Oasis report you posted on the other site shows it was a complete long block assembly. It should carry a warranty from Ford for like 2 years/24,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I would be asking why it lost compression. Something else cause that and that wasn't fixed?
Cheaper isn't always better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually talked to the Ford service tech that did the work.
Evidently, the exhaust valve in the #2 cylinder broke and fell into the top of the cylinder, mashing up the piston, the case, the head... he said it showed up running like garbage and hard to start.
When they started tearing it down, the damage was confined to the #2 cylinder, but that the engine had to be replaced.
I asked home if the turbo could've been damaged (by contaminated oil), he said no, it was run for very long with the loss of compression. He checked the turbo looking for problems but did not find anything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tech did say, that the "early builds" on the 6.7 had some initial problems with the heads. Makes sense with the exhaust valve breaking away.
The engine was replaced with an updated remanufactured motor from Ford.
Ford has put a 3 year/ unlimited mile warranty on the engine from the install date 30JUN16.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
That would make the buyer feel better about the 3 year warranty. you going to buy the truck?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts