The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought my 2000 :ford:F-250, it had an edge w/ attitude chip already installed. There is an issue with my tranny that makes it shift hard from 1st to 2nd gear. With the chip installed and the added HP, the problem was HORRIBLE. I took the chip out and the problem is still there but not nearly as bad. I want to chip my truck with DP tuner or PHP, but am afraid it will only cause my tranny to act up again. Any suggestions/comments?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
tranny

well if your having an issue with your tranny you need to resolve it before rechipping your truck.is your o/d light flashing?if so theres a code stored which will lead you to the problem.anytime you add hp to your tranny it gonna put an added stress on it and can bring on early failure.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You can try changing the fluid and filter, but, it might be like closing the barn door, after the horse got out. You will need to take care of the tranny issues first, then gauges, before any chip, programer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
133,000 miles...I'm gonna change the fluid here shortly, so I'll see if that makes any difference. The OD light is not flashing. I want to upgrade the torque converter also, so i'll wait till i have enough cash and just pull the tranny and replace the TC all at once

·
Registered
281 Posts
if you pull it and replace the TC, rebuild it too. The TC is the most expensive part of the deal. do it right the first time and you wont regret it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I know that some programmers do increase the line pressures a little to keep the tranny from self destructing and that will contribute to harder shifts. If you have the transmission rebuilt first, check with the maker of the chip you want to buy and see if they adjust the line pressure at all. The tranny builder can take that into account when they rebuild the tranny. If you have the chip already, it is easier for the tranny guy to tune the valve body to make the shifts clean with your chip.

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
Virtually all chips, tuners change trans shift points or line pressure I think....
Most good tuners (People) will make it a good thing,,,,,

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Best is have your tuner remove any additional pressure..best left to a VB. Great add is a BTS VB setup for your mods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts