The Diesel Stop banner

Wanting to do a few hauls....need some answers

2281 Views 22 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  bboteler
This is for you guys who do this alot, hopefully you can help. I want to use my truck and horse trailer on my days off to make some extra money.
I only want to haul in my state (Virginia) and maybe some adjoining states. I only have a two horse gooseneck so weren't not talking a lot of wieght, but what kind of insurance do I need and what companies do you guys use for that?

And what DOT or other fed. authorities do I need to have and how do you do that?

1 - 6 of 23 Posts
The size of the operation has absolutely nothing to due with the legal requirements, if he's getting paid to haul goods he's commercial, and must comply with all DOT regulations.

[/ QUOTE ] Agreed,, and you can take what ever advice your getting here and do what you want with it. I do not haul live animals,, I haul Autos and Hotshot freight. I do NOT have to have a CDL in Missouri with 26k and under plates. NOW I Probably will move up to 35k or what ever is the next step if I get a three car trailer. I have Commercial insurance, 100,000.00 cargo insurance and 1,000,000.00 liability insurance. Do I think I waste my money doing that,, UM,, NO!
You haul horses for a "Friend" and get into an accident, killing someone, During the investigation they find out you were doing it for "HIRE" without the proper authority. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif as mentioned above,, they will hang you from the nearest tree....
Sure it looks like your hauling you own horses,,, untill somthing happens.
Do you want to gamble like that? I know I didnt want to.
Do what you want,, and if you make a few bucks before you get in trouble,,the fine!
Your an adult and can decide right from wrong,,and I DONT just mean the law. I mean what chances are worth taking with your families livelihood, and well being.
See less See more
They want to make your life more difficult financially so the guys who run the show can go home and enjoy a glass of wine and wake up in the morning to go drive around the golf course with a straw hat and big cigar in his mouth.

They want you to die so they don't have to put up with you anymore.

Its all about greed and if you get in the way they will throw arse in jail.

[/ QUOTE ] What on earth are you talking about ???
God where you from,new york city?

Yankees must of been pulling on your ears a long time.

I laughed at everything you typed.

[/ QUOTE ] Yada Yada Yada,,,,/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif He LAUGHED his arse off??? LOL
Yep,,this sight is good for a few laughs once in a while!

Mr Greenjeans,, I mean Tall Green is right about ONE thing,,

I love my Tweeked Galaxy 44...Dead keys 6w and modulates about 36w!!!!
See less See more
444...????[ QUOTE ]
file all road/property taxes (yes, you'll be paying property tax to states you don't live in, because in their eyes, if you drive through, your conducting business in their state, and your truck is business property, which is charged tax based on it's value and the number of miles you ran in their communist state...BTW, KY is the #1 communist in your area). On the up side, you should be exempt from IFTA fuel taxes.

[/ QUOTE ] So your saying we have to keep track of all miles driven in each state?? WHAT KIND OF LOG BOOK does that take???? I thought I researched all this,,I dont know what your talking about?
How can you be expected to pay "Property tax" on a vehicle that is NOT REGISTERED in that state? Or have to pay it on the same vehicle in many states??
If your small enough and dont have to get the KYU sticker,(I have my SSR filed) or mess with IFTA, then what else is there?
See less See more
I am in NO WAY listening to Tall green,, LET'S GET THAT STRAIGHT!! ROTFLMAO!!!

I guess I am still learning on all the rest of this stuff, There is a learning curve to everything.

Who is JJ Keller? Are they a paperwork company like I got tons of junk mail from after I got my authority??? LOL
Most of that stuff got thrown away,,, People wanting to collect the money I had due,,"Factoring" companys. Sorry, Not going to pay someone to bill my customers...
Kinda a side business from the farm and associated with it.
This is not going to be a seperate business outside of the farm. But a portion of the farm operation. Anymore opinion??
You guys are great. Where would I be without TDS!!???

[/ QUOTE ] I think this is a totaly different situation. If your insurance will cover you and the horses, while your transporting horses that you are going to board,,or have been boarding. It will not really be a "Trucking" MAY not even need authority,,,do some very thorough research for VA. and see what you have to have..(Your DOT/ICC numbers are not expensive though..the cost of getting your own authority is minimal really,,, just a TON OF PAPERWORK!! Of course,,,it is dealing with the Federal Govt... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)
See less See more
1 - 6 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.