The Diesel Stop banner

Warning: Hood latch release cable

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Red_Ford_Truck 
#1 ·
Just a head's up. Many of you may know about this already, but I did a search and did not come up with anything.

The hood release cable can break, and make it a real chore to open the hood. The symnptoms are that it is real hard to pull the release, this is a sign that the cable is fraying on the inside.

My old truck (the 85) was not hard to pull at all. This truck, (the 84) has always been harder to pull then the 85 was. I thought it was harder because the latch was not adjusted right (or the bumpers that set the hood height). I kept messing with it, but it never got any better.

If your hood latch relase cable is hard to pull, you might consider buying a spare and replacing it now. I doubt you will have much luck lubricating the old one, since it has more to do with frayed cables then corrosion.

The new one from FORD, is $69.95 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I found one on E-bay for 4.95

Just a heads up.

See less See more
#2 ·
On my trucks, I just pull the cover off of the latch so I can open the hood from the front of the truck. Works like a charm, the hood on my diesel is a bear to release the main catch on, unless you're pushing down on the hood. It will open from inside, but, it's alot easier to open it from the front.
I don't reccomend doing this if you live somewhere where that something under the hood may dissapear... Where I'm at, I leave the truck unlocked, keys in the ignition most of the time...

#3 ·
On my 85 the hood release became hard to pull, a few squirts of penetrating oil was all that was needed. That was 2 years ago and it is still easy today. Sprayed the cable and the latch.

#4 ·
Birdman,

Glad to hear that oil worked for you. I plan to keep the new one 'wet' and will work oil in throughly before I install it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.