The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Ford F-350 with 7.3 power stroke, recently change the HPOP it went out and replace also mechanical fuel pump that goes in the valley. It was running good until you come to a stop, it shuts off and now it won’t start. I also change the ICP, IPR, cam position sensor, o-rings on the injectors and still a no go it’s driving me crazy. Checked fuel and oil level all good.

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
Welcome!

Is the check engine light on?
Does the WTS light come on like normal?
Does the tach move while cranking?
All fuses good?
Are you getting white smoke out the tailpipe?
Is the oil level good?
Is the HPOP oil level within a 1/2" from the top?
What's the fuel pressure when cranking?

Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

Is the check engine light on?
Does the WTS light come on like normal?
Does the tach move while cranking?
All fuses good?
Are you getting white smoke out the tailpipe?
Is the oil level good?
Is the HPOP oil level within a 1/2" from the top?
What's the fuel pressure when cranking?

Cheers!
No check engine
Yea the wait to start works normal
Tach goes up little when cranking above the zero
Fuses good
No white smoke
Oil level is good
Fuel pressure at cranking is 50psi
Half way you mean by same level of the oil sensor?

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
After an attempt to start (with no luck), if you remove the inspection plug in the top of the HPOP Reservoir, is the oil within 1/2 inch of the top (or is the reservoir basically drained)? Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
N
After an attempt to start (with no luck), if you remove the inspection plug in the top of the HPOP Reservoir, is the oil within 1/2 inch of the top (or is the reservoir basically drained)? Cheers!
Nope it’s not half way, I just checked with my camera

·
Registered
81 Posts
Check your fuel tank selector valve...mine got stuck midway between tanks and the truck acted the same as yours. You don't have a tank that is always reading full on the gauge do you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check your fuel tank selector valve...mine got stuck midway between tanks and the truck acted the same as yours. You don't have a tank that is always reading full on the gauge do you?
Yea one always reads empty and the other works fine let me check that out.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi! Manuel-05 is your HPOP reservoir within a half an inch of the top if it is lower you need to add oil to it then try and start it. keep us posted!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi! Manuel-05 is your HPOP reservoir within a half an inch of the top if it is lower you need to add oil to it then try and start it. keep us posted!
I tried that also, I filled up the reservoir cranked it, and filled it back up and nothing doesn’t even sound like it wants to start

·
Registered
275 Posts
You say the tac is moving some but you say you have no white smoke? Did you replace the cam sensor with a Motorcraft one? If not I would go get a motorcraft one and try it. If you did replace it with motorcraft I would still do the same thing. Most everyone will agree it is good to have a spare in the glove box anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I change that one too, and no start. Today i changed the lpop and also no start, it only runs for 10secs with a shot of starting fluid and shuts off.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do you have a performance chip on your truck? Also, curious as to why you had to replace the HPOP they usually, are pretty bulletproof.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just out of curiosity, do you have a performance chip on your truck? Also, curious as to why you had to replace the HPOP they usually, are pretty bulletproof.
Yea it used to but last year I put in a new pcm so it’s back to stock with no tuner and it wasn’t making no pressure it’s a jasper rebuilt.

·
Registered
2002 Ford F350 Super Duty Lariat Edition 7.3L diesel
26 Posts
Quick question for you please don’t take this an insult to your intelligence but I gotta ask did you buy any of those parts from Amazon.com?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Are they any codes that report on problems?

Do you have a scanner that can indicate what's happening when it's cranking by showing various sensor values?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was the two wires that go to IPR idk witch one was bad but I changed out both from the connection to cab to all the way to Ipr and it turned on and idled real nice. I tested it out by just sending it 12v straight to IPR and it turn on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts