The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
P1690 IS a valid code for 1998 1/2 and 1999 F-Series. Never the the less I would visually inspect and validate the presence or or absence of a wastegate especially if you are not the original owner. This might also suggest an incorrect PCM and or calibration is installed on the vehicle as to the best of my knowledge you are correct in that the E-Series did not have a wastegate. And then there is also the outside chance that your non-OEM scanner is showing incorrect/erroneous codes. (I have seen that before)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have always been curious about the lack of a waste gate in the vans as well. I thought they were a mandatory by design of a turbo to prevent (i Guess) it would be over pressure or over speed RPM of the turbo? What makes it possible for the vans to not have them? Can I guess it has to do with the other thing I have heard about the vans being "de-tuned" and THAT was done because there was an inability to provide the necessary amount of cooling air flow around the engine? So because the engine has been tuned down I guess it just isn't possible for it to develop enough EGP to over spool the turbo? Therefore no WG needed?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have always been curious about the lack of a waste gate in the vans as well. I thought they were a mandatory by design of a turbo to prevent (i Guess) it would be over pressure or over speed RPM of the turbo? What makes it possible for the vans to not have them? Can I guess it has to do with the other thing I have heard about the vans being "de-tuned" and THAT was done because there was an inability to provide the necessary amount of cooling air flow around the engine? So because the engine has been tuned down I guess it just isn't possible for it to develop enough EGP to over spool the turbo? Therefore no WG needed?
It has a larger exhaust housing that allows for egt’s to stay down without a wastegate.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I never thought/heard of the EGT being the purpose of the WG.
I can see the larger housing doing a better job to reduce EGT but never thought that as the PRIMARY reason for the WG. I have always read it as "to dump excessive pressure" once a certain pressure from a sensor was detected by the PCM?????

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't HAVE to have a wastegate. A non wastegated turbo controls boost by changing the size of the housing. The problem is when you try to put a larger housing on to control overall boost it slows down your spool up as well.
The vans and '94-'97 truck didn't come with waste gates but they were set up to run that way and the turbos were set up to make X amount of boost at full load by the size of the housing.
When Ford came out with the SDs they intercooled them. The intercooler makes them take longer to build boost becaue they have to pressureize so much more air volume. So they put a smaller housing on the turbo in order to make them spool up quicker for better take off. However by running the smaller turbo it can make more boost than needed or wanted so they wastegated them. This allows the turbo to spool up quick on the bottom and also alows them to control boost on top. The wastegate also help keep from overspooling the turbo which is what takes them out.
Most people don't understand turbos very well and they THINK that more boost = more power which couldn't be more wrong in our application. So they think by putting a non wastegated turbo on or by dissabling the stock wastegate they are going to make more power.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That's good info Hillbilly. Thanks...That leads me to ask another question... Are guys adding "chips" to their vans & how does that figure into the turbo & increasing power? Or is that chip talk all just for guys with pickup trucks? I mean, I have considered a chip for my 03 E-350 for better towing or just more get up & go for non tow highway or town driving (not to mention the convenience of a high idle setting... If you "chip" a van do you have to be (more concerned) with increased engine temps. than if a F series? I understand a big part of the reason for the lower boost turbo & de-tuned condition of the E-Series was about the inability to dissipate heat in the engine compartment??? What say you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a hydra chip with Jelibuilt tunes on my van. I have 5” straight pipes exhaust and a water/methanol injection. I have an Edge Insight CTS2 to monitor EGT, oil temp, tranny temp, icp, & ipr. I monitor boost also, but I am going to have to add a boost T for the edge because what it is reading from the OBD2 for boost is wrong once it gets over 25 psi since I have a boost fooler so it doesn’t defuel. I’ve yet to pull a seriously large load with the van to get it close to 1200+ on egts. But with the water/meth kit it had dropped my egt’s about 300*.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You got all kinds of stuff going on there! I can't bankroll all that, so I am pretty stock.
About all I got is a muffler delete pipe & that did/does NOTHING for anything except make it louder. The exhaust might have a little bit better flow without the muffler but I bet you couldn't measure an increase of anything other than that slight flow increase (assuming there's even that!) LOL .
I'm always wondering about towing because even though I have not had the opportunity to tow anything (like a good size TT), I have hauled a small utility trailer (EMPTY) and considering everything I thought a diesel (especially with a big honking 7.3) was supposed to be able to do... It felt like that trailer weighed 5 times more than it did the few times I pulled it. Extremely more noticeable engine noise when starting from a stop. Much noticeably longer time to get up to speed unless I really pushed the pedal & so long in lower gears... I mean this is a 7.3 diesel! I shouldn't have even noticed the thing was back there! So I have to wonder what will happen the day I get a 30' Travel Trailer with fresh water tanks loaded & all the gear inside I might load it down with. And I write this as a previous Chevy G20 Van owner with a V8 350 that I used to pull a 32' Trailer that I most certainly had loaded to the Max & beyond. This Ford E-350 pulling the EMPTY utility trailer almost feels the same as that Chevy gasser pulling that above mentioned! How that happen? DDT

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a 172,000 mile 2002 EB stock motor except for a 4" exhaust.
I put a DP tuner 5 position chip mine and even with a 20HP towing tune in made a huge difference. I have bigger HP tunes (40,60,80) I rarely use them (only for towing) but they can pump out the black smoke, The 20 doesn't. If you do install any kind of a chip I strongly recommend at least getting a EGT gauge. and live by it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts