The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Wastegate actuator rod begins to move at 5 psi. This is NOT 5 psi boost, but pressure received when PCM commands the wastegate solenoid open.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ok, so my problems got worse yesterday. I have the whooshing and severe power loss when its cold, I am not sure if the waste gate is open or shut (still checking the vacumm), now my turbo worked once yesterday and didn't twist up again even after the engine was warmed up. This is getting very frustrating.

·
Registered
723 Posts
???

Maybe something else, fuel pump at the rail under the truck might be weak/bad.

Intercooler boots?

Exhaust?? (long shot I know but...)

Did you finally unplug the EBPV???

Air filter????

·
Registered
723 Posts
99 powerstroke turbo correct?? not IDI

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yep, accept for the vacuum part, actually its pressure, driven off the compressor side of the turbo. (diesels do not make vacuum) I do not know how many PSI it takes at rest to start moving the actuator, but that's how the PCM calls for wastegate actuation.
Thanks for clearing that up...my bad.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yea. 99 Turbo. I removed all the tubes and cleaned them out (along with the boots). No holes, just dirty on the outside. Turbo is spinning freely. Had the truck running yesterday, no pressure from the red line going to the wastegate actuator even when I revved the motor. At what point does the engine push enough pressure to the actuator to open it? What is the PCM lookign for?

No, I didnt unplug the EBPV yet. Is there any connjection between the EBPV and the turbo not spinning up?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yea. 99 Turbo. I removed all the tubes and cleaned them out (along with the boots). No holes, just dirty on the outside. Turbo is spinning freely. Had the truck running yesterday, no pressure from the red line going to the wastegate actuator even when I revved the motor. At what point does the engine push enough pressure to the actuator to open it? What is the PCM lookign for?

No, I didnt unplug the EBPV yet. Is there any connjection between the EBPV and the turbo not spinning up?

Thanks!!!
Good, sounds like the turbo physically sound. You should not have any axial play (side to side) If you can force the compressor wheel to make contact with the housing, it's BAD. You should have a barely perceivable amount of end play (in and out.)

In a no load condition, the engine isn't going to build boost, no boost, no WG actuation. Only way to test that is while under way (or engine loaded somehow.)

There is certainly a connection between the EBPV and the turbo spool. If the valve is closed, it restricts the amount (volume) of exhaust gas. This also reduces the volume to the turbo's turbine (wheel in the exhaust side that spins the compressor on the intake side) Go ahead and unplug the two wire plug that is at the lowest part of the turbo mount (in the front) and see what changes. Something will change. Now if the valve is not allowed to close, there is a good possibility your turbo will spool just fine.:icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
thanks

thank you! thank you! thank you! hey did i say thank you?
i was having the same problem and thought it was waste gate or something. had no idea what to do to solve the problem or if the whooshing noise was causing damage. i was able to get to the two prong plug really easily and the noise is gone.
seriously
thanks again
Don

·
Registered
82 Posts
EBV Uses

I have experienced the same issues w/stock tuning regarding the EBV cycling to warm the engine. My DP tuner has 1200 rpm setting for running the AC in hot heather, 1200 rpm w/EBV setting for warming/keeping the engine warm in cold weather and a Decel setting for using the EBV as an exhaust brake.

This morning it was in the low 20's and w/stock tune the EGT will stay around 200 degrees at idle, using the 1200 rpm w/EBV the EGT will quickly rise to 400 degrees and solve the annoying cycling of the EBV. These tunes provide much of the function of an AIC and after-market exhaust brake for a very reasonable cost.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ok, so today I removed all the tubing, cleaned everything, removed the turbo and removed the EBPV flapper on the exhaust side of the turbo. Now my question is, is there any harm with leaving the accumulater and rod attached to the pedestal?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Ok, so today I removed all the tubing, cleaned everything, removed the turbo and removed the EBPV flapper on the exhaust side of the turbo. Now my question is, is there any harm with leaving the accumulater and rod attached to the pedestal?
Hmmm... exact question I had some 4-5 years ago. Decided it was there when the valve was there, so besides being lonely, it should do fine. To date no problems. SO from my experience, I'd say no problems at all. Since there was no way I felt comfortable with sealing up all the oil passages in there, I just left it alone.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
side effect

had a positive side effect to unplugging the EBPV. i noticed a "seat of the pants" increase in boost at 19-2000 rpms. the noise is gone and "big red" lurches forward every time it hits around that rpm range. again, thanks for the info.
Don

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
Hello, I have a 99 7.3 with 210,000 on it. The issue is that during the cold days, under 40 deg here in Michigan, my straight piped diesel makes loud whooshing sound. I am sure it is the wastegate blowing off pressure. It does this until the engine is clompletly warm. I was wondering if there is a way to solve this? I have read a lil on the BD wastegate head and others. Looking for info and help. Thanks, Brian
That's your EBV closed and making the exhaust sound like a jet engine,,,
Normal operation,

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It has been a couple of weeks since I unplugged my EBV and has made be happier. Less annoying noise on cold days. Maybe little more responsive on the peddle. Great to have free advice on this site. Thanks everyone:thumbsup:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Problem Solved

Well all is well. Here is what I did. Remember I has a whooshing sound coming from my right front of the engine, serious loss of power, my turbo wasn't spinning up and the whooshing sound coming from my exhaust was loud.

1. Removed all hoses and cleaned everything. This included removing where the intake hoses connect.

2. Removed the turbo and found one housing bolt missing and one loose where air was escaping (or being sucked in).

3. Removed the EBPV (flapper on the exhaust side of the turbo).

4. Located the hissing noise on the right front of the engine. The BPV tube was broken clean off and the fitting end where the BPV valve screws into was clogged. Replaced the whole assembly.

5. Followed CPU Necks advice and left the accumlator on the turbo pedestal just disconnected.

Put it back together and the whooshing is gone, the turbo is spinning up and the power is back!!!! Of course now I am sore as crap since I have been laying across my engine for two days.

Thanks to CPU Neck and the rest of you!!!!

Leon

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Awesome, glad to hear it... That was a good multi-point attack that probably netted some items that weren't problems YET, but in the near future. She runs like you took ten years off of her don't she. :jester:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts