The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought a 2001 7.3 Ford F-350. It has a few problems, but so far everything seems manageable.

I let it sit for couple weeks in Washington State, where it's been raining a lot. I tried to start it this morning and wouldn't. Then the WATER IN FUEL light came on. I looked up a procedure to empty the fuel bowl by turning the yellow lever.

Did that. "Primed" it or whatever by turning the truck to on. After a few times I tried to start it, and it would crank but not start. So I repeated the process a couple times. And now it won't even crank.

I'm a student and I can't afford a major service :( can you please help me?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sounds like you may need new batteries

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried jumping the truck at first to start it and that didnt work. But why do you think that? Also, when I'm in the on position, the truck makes this weird chattering sound behind the dash and the lights start flickering.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Have you tried to start with jumper cables? These trucks will not start with low batteries. Can you check the voltage with a multimeter? The water in fuel issue is unrelated to your no crank issue.

Reactions: kylem

·
Registered
639 Posts
When jumping did it crank?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When jumping did it crank?
Hey! I just tried it with the cables connected again and it did crank a little more. So that's awesome for a start. Thank you, I appreciate your response. I'm hoping that if I charge it a bit, it'll start completely. I've already drained quite a bit of fuel from the fuel bowl.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
I'm hoping that if I charge it a bit, it'll start completely.
You can charge it “a bit” for now but be sure to fully charge the batteries overnight when you get home. Do not rely on your alternator to fully charge the batteries.

Be prepared for the WIF light to come on again and each time it does, just drain the fuel bowl once and allow it to refill with fuel before attempting to start the engine.

It is impossible to determine how much water you have sloshing around in your fuel tank and anytime you have water in your fuel tank, you need to be concerned. If it were me, I would purchase these specific fuel additives and give your tank a “one time blast” of this and watch the video at this link:

7ABC2F79-A9E6-41CD-A9DD-94C204381786.jpeg

And the next time you change your fuel filter, take a photo of the filter element and post it on here. Its quite possible you have microbial growth (aka: algae) in your fuel tank. If so, then you need to add this fuel treatment:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can charge it “a bit” for now but be sure to fully charge the batteries overnight when you get home. Do not rely on your alternator to fully charge the batteries.
To Jleedog. Thank you so much! I appreciate your advice, i'm really grateful :D! It just turned over, weird that water in fuel light was staying on. And ArticDriver!
I hope you have a great day!

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Something else you can do the next time your WIF light illuminates is drain your fuel bowl into a clear glass jar and let it sit for a few days.

Snap a photo and post it on here.

Cheers

·
Registered
639 Posts
Take the truck to a auto parts store and have them load test the batteries. I'm sure they need to be replaced. The chattering you heard under the dash was most likely the relays trying to work with low voltage. Bad thing about our trucks is you need to buy 2 batteries instead of just one. Dont just replace one of them you will just hurt the new battery. Walmart has decent prices for your low budget.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Be sure to fully charge the batteries overnight before load testing.

I have actually continued to use batteries that failed the loadtest. If money is tight then you can stretch their life a bit by doing a little maintenance on the battery posts and cable terminals by removing any corrosion (white stuff) and wirebrushing to create a clean contact surface.

I am pretty finicky about my vehicles but I am not sure I even have one that does not build up corrosion at the battery after a few months. ..haha

And I had an Optima yellow-top that I kept using even down to it testing about 65% of its original Cranking Amps. I just kept switching it to vehicles and equipment that were smaller and had less need for Cranking Amps. I finally removed it from a skidsteer earlier this winter which was the last vehicle I swapped it to.

On the topic of batteries, I heard a funny story recently. A neighbor kid did a drive around Australia in an old Ute he had bought. When his adventure was over and he was trying to sell it, the battery had died. The interested buyer grabbed a spare he was carrying, flipped it upside down making contact with the posts of the dead installed battery while his girlfriend jumped in the rig and turned the key!

It started up and the Aussie couple bought the Ute.

I don’t know if the upside down battery was an AGM or not but I hope so.
I bet Googs would get a chuckle out of that Ingenuity 😂

Reactions: kylem and Greg687
1 - 12 of 12 Posts