The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Water in fuel drain filter see manual msg. recently appeared on the screen of my '13 F-350. I recently had the fuel filters changed at the dealership(<1000 mi) and typically do not let the fuel level go below 1/4 tank. The day the msg. appeared I fueled the truck in the morning and in the evening coincidently drove through heavy rainfall on the way home from work. The warning appeared about 4 mi. from home and when I arrived I located the DFCM to drain the bowl per manual to discover the sensor lead was disconnected from the filter bowl. I reattached the lead, and drained the filter bowl per manual (2x's) and did not observe any water in container. Is it possible the warning message is a result of the disconnected sensor lead? I am still getting the warning message at this point.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Yes, it is conceivable that water contamination on the WIF sensor plug will turn on the warning indicator by "shorting" the two circuits together. As I understand, under normal circumstances when water is removed from the separator the light should go out. Since you did not observe any water in your fuel sample I suspect that you do indeed have a wiring issue requiring cleaning of the connector with an electrical parts cleaner and compressed air to dry it. There will likely be codes in the PCM that will also require checking and clearing. If I were you, I would return to the dealership and explain the scenario as you have done here and ask them to correct it.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Provided that you have taken sufficient fuel samples at the fuel water separator and have verified the absence of water then you should be fine driving the vehicle. The light itself will not cause an issue.

I do know that with the most current calibrations for the 6.4L engines in 2008-2010 model year trucks the PCM will actually make the engine buck intermittently if the vehicle is operated for extended periods of time with the WIF light illuminated. I do not know if this is also true with the 6.7L equipped trucks. This feature was programmed in to simply "get your attention" when you ignore the indicator. While this operation can be annoying it will not harm the vehicle. Again, I am not sure if this is true for your model year truck.

Reactions: Dakar Dad

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's exactly how the sensor in the bowl works, two contacts stick out in the bowl and when water touches both contacts and completes the circuit, the warning comes on. So, having the plug get wet accomplishes the same thing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
After reading all the fuel and water issues on these, I would take your fuel samples with you to Ford and have the proof entered into their database. Assuming you still have them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Provided that you have taken sufficient fuel samples at the fuel water separator and have verified the absence of water then you should be fine driving the vehicle. The light itself will not cause an issue.

I do know that with the most current calibrations for the 6.4L engines in 2008-2010 model year trucks the PCM will actually make the engine buck intermittently if the vehicle is operated for extended periods of time with the WIF light illuminated. I do not know if this is also true with the 6.7L equipped trucks. This feature was programmed in to simply "get your attention" when you ignore the indicator. While this operation can be annoying it will not harm the vehicle. Again, I am not sure if this is true for your model year truck.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
The Reduced Power Message is usually due to your continued operation of the truck. Drain that seperator as soon as possible after the Water In Fuel message pops.

Reactions: ford_doctor
1 - 10 of 10 Posts