The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1994 7.3 Powerstroke w/ Turbo, I just replaced the water pump/fan clutch/fan the other day. I was running in to bleed the coolant, and it started to die. I gave it a little throttle, and it stayed alive for a minute, but then died. Now it won't start at all. The starter is trying hard, it cranks strong, just won't turn over.

I've read a bunch of posts and tried to diagnose on my own. I tried draining the fuel bowl and replacing the fuel filter. I looked at all the fuses and relays, everything is good there. The bowl is still getting fuel, it fills back up while cranking every time.

Batteries are less than a year old, glow plugs/injectors/fuel pump were done in January of this year. Before this I've never had a problem starting it.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
I'd start by testing the fuel pressure on the filter housing. A pencil type tire gauge will work, just wrap in in a rag or your new cologne may be diesel.

While cranking the engine over you should see 20 psi+ and once running if it starts 50 psi+

Just because the fuel pump is fairly new doesn't mean that it hasn't died. I have seen them bad right out of the box.

Reactions: MichaelPatrick

·
Registered
315 Posts
If your water in fuel light and filter light are both on have you drained the bowl into a clean clear container and looked for Water? Water in fuel light means water. Filter light usually means restrictions in the tank pick up or transfer switch. Ice, due to water can cause the Filter light to come on too.
Also you said you have a 1994 Powerstroke with turbo. "Powerstroke" is a turbo motor, there were no non turbo ones. Do you have a IDI with turbo, this is not a Powerstroke. Or a TDI, witch is the Powerstroke? Want to make sure you are in the right forum to begin with. Buy saying you drained the bowl I would guess it is a TDI, but I have to ask. Also did you look at the bottom of the bowl to see if there is any trash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts